Chapter Five

~ The best way to keep a secret is to pretend that there isn't one

Chapter Five

"Where have you been?" Mum shouted, her hair done up into a neat bun and the sleeves of her purple shirt rolled up. For a second, I thought she was ready to hit me.

I didn't exactly have the energy to defend myself and when I sighed, it was like she only just noticed Mike beside me as I leaned up against him, my eyes half shut.

"Oh my, what happened?" She stretched her hands out so that I could use her for support instead.

"Mrs Webb, can we talk quickly please?" Mike asked, automatically helping Mum lead me past the kitchen and into the living room, to rest on the three-seat grey sofa (the one facing the television which was drilled to the wall).

In front of the sofa was a small, brown table and either ends of the table were two one-seat sofas. Behind the one seat sofa on the left of the largest one was another table, which my parents mostly used to pile their letters on top of and this table was edged against the window that overlooked into the garden. Beside the window was the door to the garden.

"Hold on a sec." Mum fluffed up a cushion on the sofa.

Mike, then, gently helped me lay on the sofa and I found myself relaxing and closing my eyes. Mum led Mike out of the living room and they began talking in the hall way. I could hear their hushed voices, some words coming out clearer than others. Do my parents have the impression that sound does not travel through air or something? They're always arguing or talking about me as if I can't hear them, a lot more recently.

"Does she know?"

"Shh, maybe we're a little too loud. Let's go talk outside. Oh, it must be freezing; I can lend you one of David's coats for now." I could hear the concern in Mum's voice.

"It's okay, Mrs Webb."

"Don't be silly." I heard shuffling and the sound of a creak – probably Mum opening the hallway cupboard to take out a coat for her and Mike.

Only a few seconds later, I heard the sound of the front door open and shut and I was left in silence. That was rather strange. Why did I have the sense that Mum and Mike knew each other? I mean, sure, they knew of each other but those exchange of words appeared as if they speak quite frequently. Why did I suspect that my parents, and even Mike, knew something about me that I didn't?

It seemed like ages before Mum entered the house again and, this time, alone. I felt restless on the sofa and as much as I was trying to get some rest, sleep was failing to take over my mind. With a lot of effort, I had managed to roll onto my side. Mum took a seat in the empty space of the sofa next to me (I was thin enough for her to fit) and placed one of her freezing hands on my forehead. I opened my eyes wide, surprised by the coldness of her touch. It wasn't that cold when I had been out.

"Honey, let me get you some water." She spoke softly. What had Mike told her for her to act like this?

"Where's Dad?" I managed a whisper.

"He went out to look for you." She left the living room and I heard some tinkering of glasses, returning with a glass of water.

"Thanks," I croaked as I struggled to lift myself up to a sitting position to take a sip of the water so Mum held the glass as I tilted my head as much as I could to take a sip.

Some of her shorter, chocolate brown hairs that had not made it through the hair band and into the bun, had slipped down to her cheeks as she placed the glass back on the table. She stood up properly and faced me. She crossed her arms, yet, her expression was of the soft, concerned type. It was as if she was battling between anger and worry.