8

We laughed as we left the building. A familiar woman walked in front of us. I froze when I recognized her. She had tears in her eyes and she didn’t speak. She just stared at me. Her eyes travelled down to my shoes and back up to my eyes. Gaga looked at the both of us with a confused expression. Things started feeling awkward.

“M-Mom?”

My heart broke and then felt like it was on fire. A sudden fury and anger washed through me.

“Hi Kaelynn.”

Gaga’s mouth flew open and her eyes wide.

“Let’s go to the hotel.”

My mom eyed her and nodded. When we got into the room my mom sat in the chair and I sat with Gaga on the couch.

“What are you doing here mom?”

“I came to see you.”

“We haven’t even spoken on the phone in four years!”

My mom sighed and looked away.

“How have you been Kaelynn?”

I stood up and started shouting through the tears.

“You and dad threw me out onto the streets when I was only 14 years old! And because of something I cannot control!”

“I’m sorry Kaelynn! I am!”

I shook my head and threw off my jacket revealing the bruises on my arms and the cast on my wrist.

“You disowned me and had no contact with me for four horrible, abusive, torturous years! Do you see these bruises? This cast? Marcus has been hitting me for FOUR YEARS! I called out for you! I called out for dad but nobody came! He almost killed me! I had seizures!”

I sat down and my mom looked at my cast and the bruises. I was crying hard and Gaga pulled me into a tight embrace.

“Shhh. Calm down Kaelynn. Sh calm down.”

She spoke quietly.

“I heard. Kaelynn I just wanted to see you. I never quit thinking about you.”

I ignored her and she continued.

"You don’t have to believe me. You don’t have to forgive me. But you should give me a chance. I saw your performance at the Today show, you two were great really. Kaelynn, you have always had a talent and a passion to sing. Now look at you…You have Lady Gaga wanting you on tour with her. I am on floor 1, room114.”

With that my mom left and Gaga hugged me tighter.

“How dare she show up after all of these years!? Does she know how much pain she has caused me?!”

I sobbed on Gaga’s shoulder. As I started to calm down Gaga out a hand on my face.

“Sweetie, I know what she did isn’t right, but maybe you should give her a chance. Just listen to her. Grab some coffee tomorrow if you want.”

I thought about it for a few minutes and nodded.

“I’m going to go tell her.”

“Alright.”

She gave my hand a squeeze and I made my way down to room 114. As I stood in front of the door I took a deep breath before knocking. My mom opened it and gave me a pouting look.

‘My God! She was always good at that.’

“You have one shot.”

She giggled and leaned against the door frame.

“Coffee? Tomorrow morning?”

“Sure I’d like that. Thank you so much. I look forward to it.”

My heart still felt broken into a million pieces and swept under a rug.

“9AM. Don’t be late.”

I said quietly and went back up to Gaga’s, and my, room.

“What am I doing?”