Chapter 4

Tom looked at her with tears in his eyes. He must love being a guard or scout as Mason said they call themselves now. There is no way he would want to give up being a scout. I walk over to the old fairy and put a hand on her shoulder.

"Ma'am sometimes you need to let someone do the things they love. I know Tom here isn't the healthiest person to ever live but he loves being a scout. He wouldn't want you to take away the thing he loves doing." I said. I can feel her shoulder stiffen at my light touch and she brushed me off. 

She spun around and looked at me. "Child those are wise words from one so young. Well I guess they could resign him to an easier part of the job. Something like training the next alphas-to-be." She said thoughtfully. Her eyes glazed over in thought for a few moments and her wings shimmered slightly.

Tom looked at me in a grateful way. I smile at him and nod. He is a werewolf and just because he isn't in my pack doesn't mean I will make him try and do something he isn't feeling up to. Going back outside I find Ace is still standing outside the hut eating grass.

I smile at him and shake my head. I swear he eats more than should be possible. Leaning against him I sigh. He isn't even sweating after such a run. How? I really don't know. The saddlebag is still on Ace's back and I take it off him. 

While I start to take the saddlebag inside I hear horse hooves on the stones which now make up the road. Ken is soon behind me and he is looking at the hut I had just came out of. Well there is so some history here.

"Ken don't worry about Tom. He is fine but he isn't going to remain an outside scout. He is going to become a trainer." I say. Those two seem to be close. Well it isn't in my best interest to get involved with there personal lives.

Ken looks at me and then at the door again. "Well go in there. Unless you are scared of an old medical fairy." I said with one of my eyebrows raised. Ken looks startled to say the least. I may be 17 years old but I know taking a jab at ones pride gets them to do things.

"I am not scared of her. She just doesn't like me very much." Ken said. Well it sure sounds like he is scared. I look at the flowers circling all the huts but the healer's hut. I am guessing they are all herbs.

"Well go in in and see how Tom is doing then." I tell him.

"No I don't need to. He will come out here and then we will go to the inn in town and stay the night there." Ken is starting to want to ramble, at least from how his voice is starting to sound more panicked.

"Tom can't leave until the morning. I need him to stay here so I may watch him. You and the young alpha will be spending the night here also." The healer comes out and says. She has narrowed her eyes at Ken and he gulps.

Well the medical fairy settled where we are staying for us. There is no arguing with this women.  "K I was just about to bring in my bags anyway." I said. The women spun around and saw the saddlebags. She shakes her head and turns back to Ken. 

"You won't even carry in the child's bags?" The healer said. Ken is know looking at me and the healer. "No worries Ma'am. I can do this on my own. I may be young but I have been trained to fight. Carrying a small bag is not a problem." I said.

She looks at me and shakes her head. "Ah so you are the next alpha of the Moonbeam Pack. I am the best healer of this village and most likely all fairy kind. My name is Rose." She said. She figured out my pack from so few hints. I will have to make note of this and be more careful in the future. 

Rose proceeds to drag Ken inside and she comes back out for me but I won't budge. "I will be staying with Ace." I say firmly. She looks at me and then at the horse and then she turns and starts walking to the back of her hut.

When she looks at me and sees I am still following, she turns around and walks over to me. She then started to drag me behind her house. There is a gate she opens and out of the corner of my eye I see Ace is following.

There is an open stable there and there is another gypsy vanner. From her size I would say she is still pretty young. Ace walks over to her and sniffs her. Normally Ace doesn't like other horses but seeing another gypsy vanner has him curious.

"Come with me child. We are going to pick out a satchel for you so you don't have to lug a saddlebag around all the time." She said. There is no arguing with her and she once again leads me inside.

As we walk through the door and into the kitchen I can hear Tom and Ken talking. We are leaving in the morning to continue our trip. She keeps going down the hall and to the stairs. We climb up them and into the attic. 

Up in the attic are so many things I don't really know how she could have some of these things. There are magic stones and other things of the sort along with bags and herbs. Rose starts to shuffle around and starts looking for something.

"Ah here it is. This bag is the one I took with me while I was training to become a herbalist. It is enchanted to hold however much you need and remain this size along while staying light as a feather." She started pulling a lot of things out of it.

There are crystals and plants I can only imagine the things they are used for. She looks through the bag and then hands it to me. I open it and see there is already some healing salves in there along with some blankets. There are even a bag of carrots for Ace.

"This is to much for me, are you sure you don't want to keep it? This bag must have been a gift from the Moon Goddess herself for it to have an enchantment on it." I said. I am not really sure why she would want to give away such a priceless thing.

She only laughs at me. "I haven't used this old thing in years. I would be much happier knowing my old satchel is being put to good use. Heavens knows Kent or whatever his name is isn't going to carry your things." She says almost grumpily but in a light tone. 

"Thank you so much Rose. The satchel is never going anywhere without me. " I say to Rose. She laughs again. It's a light and magical sound. "Don't worry child I have no doubt you'll take good care of it. Now let's get you settled in." She says as she starts heading downstairs. 

As I walk down to Ace's stall which is right next to the other gyspy vanner. I smile when I see Ace standing there already half asleep. He is such a goofball but I love him and it isn't like anyone else is going to try to go near him.

Once I reach Ace's stall he picks his head up. There is a hay bale in the corner and it has a blanket and pillow on it. I lay down and look at Ace. He is already sleeping. We really do have a big day tomorrow.

While I am laying here trying to get some sleep all the sounds of the village and the woods are here. You can hear all the sounds of the woods and a few sounds from the village. I listen for a few moments and then before I know what happened I fell into a peaceful sleep for the first time in years.

A/N

Word Count: 1,413

Editing isn't going as quickly as I'd hoped. I had hoped to be working on another book by now but I have a job that needs me there.