Chapter 5

When the light started to shine over the hills I wake up. No one has ever seen me still asleep after the sun has fully risen. Ace is waking up beside me too. He comes over and nudges me with his big head.

Giggling I pet him and fish through my pocket for a carrot. Normally I would have one in one of my pockets but not today. "Sorry Ace. I don't have any for you today." I whisper. He neighs at me and I just shake my head. He can be so silly sometimes.

Getting up I head to the house and once I am in the house I find Rose is already up and making breakfast for everyone. "Are the boys still sleeping?" I ask Rose. She nods her head. "Yes they are both in the living room." She said without even looking up.

Well I guess I am going to test Ken's survival instincts. I draw my sword and I can hear Rose give a chuckle. Well at least I have her approval to do this. Moving slowly I open his mouth and put my sword in it. He wakes with a start and I pull my sword out of his mouth. 

"You passed the test. Let's hope we can reach the school by nightfall otherwise I am going to go on alone."I say. As much as I enjoy traveling school starts tomorrow for all the 17-year-olds and I am not one to be late for anything.

Ken sighed and nodded. Tom is still sleeping and I don't blame him. "Rose how much longer is Tom on bed rest because we really are going to need to get moving if we want to make it to the school on time today," Ken asked her although he didn't look at her when he talked.

"He should be good to go as long as you make sure he takes his medicine twice a day like normal but in slightly larger amounts. I have already packed some for you along with instructions on how to measure the new amounts." Rose said. Well we just need to wake him up and we are off.

I have my new satchel on me so I am all packed and ready to go. I am leaving the saddlebag here as a kind of gift to Rose and my saddlebag is a good one and doesn't hurt the horse as it doesn't feel as heavy as a saddle.

"Well I have already packed you some breakfast. We just need to wake Tom and you can get moving." Rose said. I nod. "Ken you can get the horses saddled and ready while I wake up Tom and no I am not going to do it the same way as yesterday." I tell him in a voice which leaves no room for discussion.

I walk over to Tom who is still sleeping soundly. I start to shake his shoulder. He slowly wakes up and then I slap him. "Next time say something," I said with narrowed eyes. He grumbles something I can't make out and leaves. I smile.

"Shadow sweetie Ken has the horses hooked up to the carriage," Rose tells me. I nod and help Tom walk out to the carriage. With the help of Ken we get Tom into the carriage and the horses are none the wiser. 

Ace had refused to carry Tom again and the other horses still don't want to go near him. Oh well we are going to be off soon anyway and there is nothing the horses can do about it. I go out back and get Ace's bit-less bridle on him.

I have my satchel on me and it is fully packed. It doesn't seem to even be on me it is so light. I smile and Ace gives me a leg up. Once I am on his back I pick up the reins and we are off around the house.

Rose is standing there arguing with Ken again. It is more like she is yelling at Ken while Ken just stands there and tries to make himself smaller then he is. I smile and shake my head. "Bye Rose and thank you for everything. I will make sure Tom is reassigned to be a teacher." I tell her.

She turns her attention from Ken to me. "Thank you sweetie. Make sure he doesn't do anything dumb for me." She told me. I nodded and we set off leaving Rose standing there waving. She was so proud standing there. It is like I am her own wingless child. 

We get many goodbyes from the rest of the town. Once we were out of town we picked up the pace and kept up a fast going trot. Ace was doing good an hour later but the other horses were starting to get tired. 

I smile, my Ace has far more endurance than most other horses. There is another camp clearing up ahead and we take a break in it. There is a small pond there on the one side. We let the horses drink and we fill our canteens. 

We travel until noon when the school is finally in sight. It is a large castle. There is no way a human would want to go near it. It has this forbidding feeling and a dark sense about it. This is perfect for us werewolves. No one is going to want to mess with us.

We make it through the gates and some stable boys come running up to unhook the carriage. I still sit on top of Ace and when a boy comes near he rears up and paws the air. He even let out a battle cry. I didn't even slide down his back. Leaning forward I pat his side. "Easy boy," I whisper.

I didn't even have to hold on for dear life like most people would have done. Everything in the courtyard has stopped to see what the commotion was about. Well so much for staying in the shadows. I sigh and slide of Ace's back once he has settled down.

A stable boy comes up to me and looks Ace over. "If we can't handle him he can't stay here." The boy said rudely. I glare at him and look over the castle. "Well, who said you were to even go near him?" I asked him.

"umm... it's implied in my job." He said shortly. This kid and I are not going to get along very well. "I will be taking care of my horse. No one else is to go near him." I say. The stable boy nods and runs off to get the other two horses into the stable.

Honestly, it's a little surprising how easily settled Ace's stabling was. I lead Ace into the stable and another stable boy comes up and shows me a stall I can put Ace in. I smile and lead Ace into the stall. I stand there and brush him off all the while whispering things in his ears. "Ace you be good you hear me? I can't have you causing problems. I will be taking care of you just like at home." I whisper calmly into his ear.

Once I was done I left the stable to find Ken waiting outside for me. "Follow me. I am going to take you to the head of the academy." He said. I nod and follow him through the castle. This castle is to be my home for the next four years. 

A/N

Word Count: 1247

I think this book is coming along nicely. If only the editing was coming along better...