{Ch 20}

"I just want to run away with you, and live with open

and live with open."
-Big & Rich, "Run Away with You"
~~~~~

I groaned as I woke up to yet another boring morning. My parents were already at work- it being Wednesday. I haven't spoken to Leo in a couple days and it broke my heart. Jace, on the other hand, called or FaceTimed me everyday to see how I was doing. He was such a sweetheart.

"Hey you!" Peyton's cheery voice rang from the other camera. Noah was sitting behind her, fiddling with his phone on her bed. Honestly they were the cutest couple ever.

I smiled in response, "Hey! How are you?"

"This freak is annoying." She rolled her eyes, turning to him. "CAN YOU TURN DOWN THE DAMN GAME, I'M ON THE PHONE!"

I laughed at her as she rolled her eyes at me yet again, sticking out her tongue as her boyfriend threw a pillow at her fiery orange hair.

"How are you, is the real question." She said, concern filling her radiant eyes.

With a moan, I rolled off my bed onto the floor. She immediately picked up that I wasn't alright. My parents knew about our little fight and defended Leo, of course. The scene he walked in on wasn't the best to be caught in. Your girlfriend, holding hands and looking into the eyes of one of her closest boy friends? Not a safe situation. A dumb move on my part, really.

"I know I should be taking his side because the scenario wasn't in your favor, but I feel super bad for you. I'm your best friend, so I'll stick with you until the end." Peyton explained to me, waving her hands around in gestures.

I smiled, "I can always count on you."

Noah looked towards us from the background, "CAN YOU TURN DOWN THE DAMN FACETIME, I'M PLAYING A GAME!"

We both laughed at him as she screamed "never." He didn't take this nicely, as he tackled her from behind and showered her with kisses. That would've been me and Leo, if I hadn't been such a complete idiot. I was dying without him and I couldn't bear another day.

"I have to go talk to him. I'm sorry." I rushed, hanging up the phone. I knew she completely understood.

Without a word, I ran out the front door with my keys and phone. If I somehow locked myself out, I knew my brother would never let me in. He warned me about Leo being a bad person and I refused to agree. Hunter was still pretty mad about it.

I knocked on his front door and waited patiently. It took forever, which was so unlike Leo, until the door freaked open.

"I'm so sorry." His mother said, holding out a slip of paper. "He knew you'd come by."

I took in within my grasp as she closed the door silently. With a quick drop, I sat on the white-painted, concrete staircase.

Dear Baby Doll,

The note stated firmly. Why was it so formal? He didn't have to be a polite movie star in front of me.

I know you're probably wondering what has happened. I wish I could've told you myself, but I cannot. I just want you to know that I love you very much, before you continue on.

A couple of days ago, I got an offer. A huge offer that perked my interest very much. I couldn't resist it, I knew I had to take it before I would regret my decision. You and I both know how much my career means to me.

The tears I was fighting back were too strong, as one leaked down my cheek. I already knew what this was about. The emotions I was holding inside escaped in a teary gasp.

The movie, Titanic, has an opening for a lead character and my agent has told me I would be perfect for the role. The actress who plays the other lead is very talented and I would love to work alongside her. My agent and I both agree that this role could be huge and this movie is going to be very successful. I'm sorry you had to find out this way, Baby Doll.

The fight about Jace was nothing. I trust you enough to believe you are only friends and nothing could break that particular bond you have with him. He's such a sweet kid. Although, I can't lie and say I wasn't a bit jealous. I just needed an excuse to run off before I saw the hurt in your eyes as I told you this.

My baby, you are so strong. I know you can go on without me as you had done for the 17 years before we met. You are independent and powerful, funny and shy, and absolutely perfect. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I will be gone for 138 days, maybe more. The time always changes on these sorts of things. Technical difficulties and much more of that sort of thing. Before you flip over the paper to see what I have laid underneath, look in front of you.

I lifted my puffy, red, sobbing eyes to see the man I love in front of me, holding a bouquet of red roses. He nodded for me to flip it over.

Come with me?

Taped to the back of note, was an extra ticket. An round-trip ticket to Baja, California. I didn't know he'd be across the country?! My heart shattered into a million pieces. 138 days. Across the country. I couldn't believe it.

The ticket was my way to stay with him. To make sure that fame, fans, and supermodels didn't take him away from me. I could leave this boring and lifeless town behind for 138 days.

However, I couldn't just leave my family, my friends, my life behind me. I was 17 and far too young to be on my own already. Leo loved me, and I loved him with all of my heart. But I couldn't just leave this town behind. It held all of my memories and my past. And to think, my parents would be devastated. That's too long to go without them.

"I can't." I choked out in a hoarse whisper. "I can't leave everything behind for that long, Leo. I can't do it."

He nodded, walking forward and handing me the flowers. "The look in your beautiful eyes, baby. It hurts. It hurts so much that I don't know why I stayed. I guess I wanted you to be the last thing I saw before leaving for California."

"I love you, Leonardo." Crying out to him, I wrapped my thin arms around his neck. He pulled me close as his arms encircled my small waist and he breathed in my vanilla scent. I didn't know if he'd come back in the promised 138 days, or later, or if he'd be home earlier. I needed to stay strong and wait. That's all I have to do to be with him.

He whispered, "I love you too, Adrien. I'll call everyday, text every morning and every night. I won't let us fail, not after all we've been through."

Leo pulled away from me and kissed my lips. It wasn't hungry, it wasn't fierce. It was a passionate and sweet kiss that set my heart on fire just as all his kisses do. I hugged him one last time before he drove away in his car, leaving me alone on his perfect sidewalk to his perfect home, that once held his perfect self every night.

And, somehow, I knew that I wouldn't be seeing him for a long time after those 138 days.

(A/N) Finished Chapter 20 my lovely readers! Thanks for sticking with me this far! Sorry I haven't been able to update as much, it's summer and the work was pulled onto me like stacks of hay in a barn. I know this chapter was so sad, but I hope you enjoyed it. I actually have something to share in the next chapter, so stick around for that.  💕