Chapter 4

"You're beautiful."

He laughed awkwardly, rubbing his neck with his hand.

"Thank you, I suppose," the young Pharaoh said. It was then I realised I had spoken aloud.

"Oh my God, I'm sorry. I thought I was speaking within my mind. Oh man." I face palmed, internally scolding myself for not guarding my lips. He was definitely going to think I was crazy—

"Ahk, this is my niece, Liz. Liz, this is Ahk and his parents," Uncle Larry introduced.

The older Egyptians stepped beside Ahk in an almost protective stance.

"I am the Pharaoh Merenkahre, son of Ra, and the third king of the fourth kings. Kiss my staff," the older male introduced himself, thrusting his staff forward. I was debating on whether or not I should do as he said, when Uncle Larry interjected.

"She's a Jew, too," he said, putting his arm in front of me.

"Oh! We do love Jews, don't we, dear?" Ahk's mum said, a happy smile on her face. Ahk rolled his eyes, to which I sent him a small smile.

"Oh yes! Jews are such lovely people!" Merenkahre responded to his wife.

"I am Shepseheret, Queen of Egypt, reincarnation of Isis—"

"—Mother, you don't have to tell them your titles. They can read the plaques," Ahkmenrah interjected, sending her a small smile. Although she seemed disheartened, her smile persevered.

"You're right, my son," she said.

Uncle Larry and I gave each other a look.

"So, Ahk, I told Liz about how your tablet is the source of the night life. I figured, you know, maybe you could answer any questions she has, since it is your tablet," Larry proposed, cocking his head to the side and holding his arms out while making his suggestion.

Ahkmenrah seemed to consider this, his eyes boring into my own.

"Ahk, you can trust her. She takes in wounded animals from the street and nurses them back to health. She's not exactly the type to backstab people. She'd probably feel guilty and come back to you on her knees, crying—"

"—We understand, Larry," I interjected, feeling my cheeks burn with embarrassment. What was he getting at?

Uncle Larry only sent me a wink, crossing his arms over his chest. I shook my head, telling him to stop whatever he was trying to do. He looked away from me with a smug smile.

"Larry, If you can trust her with the secret, then I can as well," Ahk turned to me, "Shall we?"

I nodded as Ahk led me out of the Egyptian wing. God, I felt so stupid.