Homeroom

It takes me a while to find room 223 because I've been gone for 3 months. I finally make it after bumping into people, going to the wrong room - twice - and slipping on the floor. I hurry in and swifty sit down at the nearest desk as the late bells rings and fold my hands on the table with a big smile.

"That was a close one, young lady. You're lucky it's the first day." The male teacher raises his eyebrows at me but then gives me a reassuring smile. He has fluffy brown hair and chocolate eyes and I estimate he's in his late 20's. Kinda looks like my dad. Who am I kidding? I shake the thought out of my head.

"Sorry, sir. I assure you it won't happen again." The class giggles under their breath at my suck-up choice of words. To be completely fair I wasn't trying to be a suck-up at all, I was being genuine. I apologized for almost being late and then left us off on good terms by letting him know it was a one time thing. It's actually a very business like move, my father taught it to me.

"Now class, my name is Mr. Andrews. I will be your homeroom teacher as well as your math teacher for most students in here."

He paces back and forth across the room. His desk is behind him as well as the SmartBoard on the wall.

"I'm not a very strict teacher, I don't normally give out homework unless I have to. That's more so for math, though. Homeroom is your free period and luckily for you guys you have it first period. That means you can do some homework that you forgot to do the night before, go on your phones, head to the library, or you can catch up on a few zzz's if you know what I mean."

Mr. Andrews winks and laughs and the class laughs with him.

"For the record I didn't tell you that you could sleep, okay? Let's start off with attendance and schedules, shall we?"

He grabs the clipboard from his desk and begins to read the names out loud as he hands out the papers. I search the room for Matt but I can't make a full 180° turn because I don't want Mr. Andrews to see.

"Matthew Martins."

"Here." I hear him call from a few seats behind me. Perfect, now I can't stare at him during class. Mr. Andrews walks over and gives him his schedule.

"Lilly Mendes."

"Oh, here!" I call out as I raise my hand. Mr. Andrews turns in my direction and hands me mine.

"Any relation to Shawn Mendes?" He raises his eyebrows at me.

"Yes, actually. He's my father." I pull one of my braids over my shoulder. A slight smile creeps onto Mr. Andrews' face. This is new information to him, but not to everyone else. I've been captain of the cheer squad for 2 years now, so everyone knows me. Most people only want to be my friend because of my dad, so I can really only trust Alli and John - I mean Johnny - who I was friends with before they knew who my dad is.

"I can tell. You look just like him!" I can't tell if that's a compliment or an insult. My father is very good looking, but he's a guy....and I'm a girl. "Your music teacher will be expecting big things from you!" I nod in response and he continues calling out the names of my classmates.

"Alright. We still have 10 minutes left so uh....you guys can talk. Do whatever you'd like." Mr. Andrews sits at his desk and shuffles through some paperwork and the class starts chatting and moving around quietly.

I nonchalantly make my way over to Matt and sit down in the desk behind him. With my chin resting on my hand I tap on his shoulder and he turns around. Matt has dirty blonde hair in the classic "slicked over to the side with way too much hair gel" boy hairstyle and hazel eyes. He's wearing a black shirt with a jean jacket and a pair of jeans with boots. Very attractive if I must say.

"Hey Lilly." He stares into my eyes and I stare back into his.

"Hey."

"How have you been?" He turns his body around fully so he can face me.

"Pretty good. And you?"

"Okay. I missed you loads." This makes my heart flutter and I blush.

"I missed you too. Hey you uh, wanna come to my house after school?" I want Dad to meet him so if he ever asks me out I can say yes without having to be like 'My Dad wants to meet you first.'

"Yeah, sure. Give me your number and well talk later, k?" We exchange numbers and I put him in my contacts. Then I text Alli.

Lilly🌺: Got him to come over after school! Wish me luck and don't stalk me through my window!!

Alli: AHHH AJDJDJKXKSKDMSO THAT'S GREAT! PLAY HARD TO GET! And I promise I won't! (Maybe)

Lilly🌺: okayyy geez lol. Ttyl

"So what's your next class?" I ask Matt as I lock my phone.

He looks up at me, startled, then back down at his schedule.

"Oh, uh, science. You?" I frown.

"ELA." Just then the bells rings and we leave without saying goodbye which makes me kind of upset but hey, he's coming over later. That's a win for me.

---------
hope you all like it!! :))) comments and votes are appreciated greatly! Ly all!