Lesson 2: God the Father.

Bible Text: Matthew 6:9-13.

Memory verse: 1john 3:1 'Behold, what manner of the love the father hath bestowed upon us,that we should be called the sons of God; Therefore the world knoweth us not,because it know him not.'

Central truth: God is our Heavenly father.

Introduction:

The earthly father is the head if the family that has responsibility towards every member of the family,so God the father in heaven does the same. He has responsibility towards all his children. God is addressed as the father,in part because of his active interest in human affairs,in the way that a father would take an interest in his children who are dependent on him and as s father,he will respond to humanity,his children,acting in their best interests.

Study Guide:

1. Who is God the father?

A). God the father is the source. (James 1;7, Ephesians 4:6).

Our earthly father is an important source of our genetic make-up,but God Is the ultimate source of our life. He knew us before we were conceived and formed us in the womb. (Jeremiah 1:5). All the family in heaven and earth derive their names from him.

B). God the father is a corrector; Hebrews 12:5-11.

C). God is love: 1john 3:1.

D). He calls us his children: John 1:12.

2. Our relationship with God the father:

A). We are to honor, obey and worship him. (Matthew 6:9-10).

B). We are to reverence his holy name. (Matthew 6:9).

C). We are to call him when we are in need or in trouble. (Psalm 50:15; Matthew 7:7).

D). We are to please him in everything we do. (Matthew 5:43-48).

E). We are to call him father. (Romans 8:15).

F). We are to love him and keep his commandments. (1john 2:5,15).

Life Application: God the father is our source,and provider of all our needs. He has lavished great love on us to be called his children,for us to live a perfect life; we need to have a relationship with him as our father.

Conclusion: Only through Jesus Christ can we have access to God the father and only by accepting him as our lord and saviour can we be called children of God. (Romans 8:15; john 1:12).