~Chapter 1~

AN: Hello, wonderful people!

 So, another book, huh? :) I'm as surprised as you are, this idea came to me out of the blue and would not let me live until I wrote it down. This will also feature an insane monster besotted with his heroine with crazy things happening as a consequence (yeah, I'm insane, I know) so if this is your thing, you're at the right loony house.  :D

Note: This is part of the universe of "Her Cursed Monster" but will have nothing to do with it. It's book 2 of the series "Mad Protectors" because of the concept.

As always, if you like it, leave some love, please. 

Fearsome Hamster

"Come on, Elyse, just agree and this is yours again," the tall brunette mocked, waving a golden locket in front of the petite girl's crumpled fallen form. 

Though not much, the little piece of jewelry was the only physical reminder she had of her grandfather–that and occasional flashes of kind blue eyes were the only things tying Elyse to her old life, to the life before she become just another forgotten child in the orphanage. She would be damned if she let, Rosanna, the resident bitch, take her sole treasure away.

"Give it back, Rosanna," she snapped lunging for the dangling locket. Her fingers no sooner had made contact with the cold metal of the chain, than she was roughly pulled back. Her scalp burnt with pain. Someone was holding her long blonde tresses, keeping her in place. Probably another one of Rosana's minions. 

"Not so fast, Gimpy," called a familiar voice in her ear tightening their hold on her hair even more. 

Elyse held in the shriek of pain. Judging by the grating tone and overpowering stench of  one having not bathed in weeks, she guessed Marcella was the girl behind her. The same Marcella who loved picking on younger children in the orphanage. The one who stepped on their toys and stole the little scraps of food they received. Were she to show more signs of discomfort, her abuse would drag on. That was why she kept her mouth shut, stifling any groans.

"Ease on your grip, Marcella, we still want a decent sacrifice for our ritual," Xonia, a tall brunette Elyse had never talked to, muttered stepping away from the corner of the storage chamber.  Immediately the burning of her scalp stopped. She sighed in relief.

At her escape, the big brute of a girl shot her a sadistic look.

"Alright, enough with the pleasantries." Rosanna held her precious locket above the burning fireplace, dangling it threateningly close to the angry flame. "We need to have a willing subject, otherwise he shall not come. Agree to the ritual or say goodbye to this rusty piece of metal," at her last words, the willowy auburn haired girl let the gold chain balance precariously on her pinky finger, too close to the embers.

For Elyse, the choice was clear. "I agree."

Rosanna and her group snickered at the desperation tinging her voice, throwing the locket carelessly on the cold stone. Elyse swiftly crawled for it, ignoring the shot of agony though her crippled right leg and clasped it back around her neck, holding the charm close to her heart. No matter the humiliation. She would even beg for that little piece of home she had left.

"Let us start." Rosanna snapped her fingers. 

An ancient looking book with black leather covers was brought forward by a scared doe-eyed little girl who quickly disappeared back in the crowd. Something about that book sent cold shivers down Elyse's spine. The more she stared at it, the colder she felt in the otherwise stifling atmosphere of the basement. It was summertime. It was not supposed to be this absurdly chilly.