~Chapter 15~

AN: Hello, wonderful people! Hope everyone is alright! 

Thank you for all those who have signed up to Inkitt and followed me! <3 *sniff sniff* The next chapter is available on there now, and as always click the link on my profile to find me on Inkitt. 

Alsooo, since I am such a sucker for Halloween, chapter 16 might be posted within this month if all goes well! :D I might or might not predict an x rated chapter.

PS: I have been going through some tea cravings lately. What are your favourite flavours?

It was Sunday morning.

Abuzz with activity, the orphanage readied itself for another visiting day. Hope was tangible in the air as the girls donned on their best clothes and decorated their hair with flowers. First, they would all go to the mandatory church service but after the sermon, they would return back here to hopefully be adopted by the prospective parents coming to visit.

It was a joyful event for everyone. Well, mostly everyone.

Already dressed in her baby blue muslin gown – the only precious attire in her possession– Elyse watched the children excitedly talk amongst themselves from the vacant corner of the dining hall she was currently monopolising. The gloomy countenance she had not managed to wipe off her face had sent away any friendly acquaintances from her table. She could not blame them. She had been in a sour mood for the last two days.

Something weighed heavily on her heart. Despite her active search of him, Azrael had not been present in her dreams lately. It was almost as if...the demon was avoiding her.

But that was ridiculous.

If she had overreached, she would like to seek amends. The abrupt ending of their last conversation had left a bitter taste in her mouth and she felt inexplicably guilty. Perhaps tonight she would find the courage to properly summon the creature, instead of waiting for him.

In the distance, bells rang signalling the end of breakfast. It was time to go to church.

"Get your elbows off the table, Elyse," a deep voice ordered from behind her. Behind her, Madame Tildi laid a soft hand on her shoulder. "What is the matter, child? Is my food not satisfactory?"

The bowl of porridge had been left untouched. Elyse turned to the chef. "No, Madame Tildi...I am a bit under the weather nowadays," she replied softly, not wanting to offend the woman's cooking.

A look of understanding crossed the lady's face. "Ahh, say no more, lass. This is one of the few advantages of my age. No more of that monthly curse." Elyse nodded. It was better to go along with it. Telling the chef that she had boy problems, let alone demon boy problems would not bode well for her. Also, the very idea of referring to Azrael as a demon boy was absurd. His intimidating figure was far from boyish.

Elyse snapped out of her thoughts when Madame Tildi spoke. "The HeadMistress is looking for you. She told me you must go see her today." For a moment, Elyse panicked. Had Sister Ann discovered? The older woman had been more than clear on her strict view of demons.

No. If she had, Sister Ann would have come herself to tell me. A breath of relief escaped her lungs.

Something warm was thrust into her palm then. Surprised, the looked down at the inviting muffin in her hand. "Go now. Do not tell the other girls, these are meant for the next meal in fact," Madame Tildi whispered, a kind smile gracing her harsh mouth.

Elyse thanked the other woman and hurried to catch up with the rest of the girls. In the distance, at the very front, Sister Ann was already herding the orphans on the way through the crowded streets.