Chapter 5

I reach into my pocket and call Kevin. He's really the only friend I have right now. It takes a while for him to answer, eventually he does. "Kells, what's up?" He says, out of breath.

"What are you doing right now?" I ask, trying to avoid the tears that will most likely fall after I get off of the phone.

"I'm on the soccer field near the pier. Why?"

"Alright, I'm going to meet you there." I tell him, booking an uber. "I'll be there in ten." I hung up. I didn't want to be anywhere near Vic right now, especially not when that man stealer Andy is around. I thought Vic and I had something. Two months. Two months was all it took for him to realize that being with me was a mistake. Maybe I should call my grandparents to find me a new place, some place in California, or New York, even.

My uber arrives, pretty quickly too. I get in and she drives in silence to the field. I'm glad she doesn't try to talk to me. I'm seriously not in the mood to talk. I'm about two seconds from breaking down, but I have to contain it. There is no way Kellin Quinn is crying in front of a total stranger.

God. What happened to me? What happened to the Kellin who didn't fall in love? What happened to the Kellin that used to be fearless and strong?

My thoughts were broken when we came to a stop in front of the green field. I thanked the driver, getting out of the car in stepping foot out into the crisp spring air. I spotted Kevin in his green jersey and headed towards him. He was still playing, running around with is hair tied up into a tiny ponytail above his head.

As he scored a goal, he was able to look over and find me walking towards him. He told something to one of the guys there and then jogged to me. "Hey, Kellin." He said when he caught up to me, "what's wrong? You look like you're about to cry." I guess that was all it took to make it actually happen, because I started sobbing in front of him.

"He was-was-was making out with my stupid, gross, ugly, annoying, tutor. What kind of a person would do that to someone!" I say in between heaves. Kevin gave me a sympathetic look before hugging me.

"Tell Andrew that he's subbing for me!" He yells back to someone before bringing his attention back to me.

"I'm s-sorry I have to make you s-stop your game." I cry. He chuckles a little.

"It's okay. There's no way soccer is more important at this moment. Besides it's only a scrim." He takes my hand and leads me towards the empty bleachers. "Now tell me what happened."

I tell him everything, about Andy and how he has been trying to get with Vic, and how I caught the two locking lips on the couch. Of course I had to stop every once in awhile to blow my nose. It was all so much to retell it. "Wow, what an asshole!" Kevin yells. He's just as angry as I am upset. "He seriously doesn't deserve you if he's going to tell you all that stuff from before then go making out with someone else the same day."

"Maybe the reason why he doesn't feel right about being with me is because he and Andy are a thing" I admit, my heart sinking with every word. I shouldn't be getting so upset about him. He was someone who my grandparents were paying to protect me. Granted, he hasn't even been doing that properly. If anyone is a threat to me, it's Vic himself.

Kevin gives me a hug. "Don't say that. Who knows, he did say 'it's not what it looks like.' Maybe Andy forced himself onto him?" I shake my head, I can't allow myself to believe that. If i start to believe that, then I'll be trapped in the fantasy that Vic actually wants me.

"Doubt it." Is all I can muster. I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket, so I reach into it, reading the name off of the screen. Vic with a heart next to his name and a picture of him smiling. I took that picture from an old photo lying in the living room. It was cute. I rejected the call, nonetheless. I sighed, "I should get going, he's probably going to think I'm dead or something."

"Alright, but if you ever need anything, don't hesitate to call. I'll drop everything for you Kellin!" He says dramatically, clutching his shirt, making me laugh.

"Thanks, Kevin. You're the best."

"Only cause you're my friend. Get home safe." He smiles, getting up off the bleachers jogging back to the field where his team is still playing, I think they started to lose once he left. I worked my way down the rows and checked my phone again, six unread messages, four missed calls, and two voicemails. Vic was worried. Last time I did this, I felt bad. But now, I don't know. I feel as if it's justified. Make him suffer for breaking my heart.

I didn't call him. Instead, I decided to make my way home on foot, which would take at least thirty minutes.

During my walk, I stopped at a local cafe, grabbing a coffee. I was taking my time. I wanted to savor every moment of Vic's panic, even if I couldn't be there to witness it.

After a while, I was in front of the condo complex. I checked the time, I had been gone for two hours. Honestly, Vic shouldn't be too worried. I mean, it was only two hours. But of course, I'm a Bostwick, I should be under supervision at all times. I step inside of the building and greet the doorman before heading towards the elevator. I click the button, waiting a moment before it stops, opening up to reveal Vic, who was looking down at the ground, leaning against the railing with his arms folded across his chest. He looks up and his eyes meet mine, relieved.

"Kellin, thank god!" He says.

"I'm taking the stairs." I tell him, monotonously. I turn to walk to the stairs but I feel his hand clasp around my wrist, pulling me into the elevator.

"No, you're not leaving again." He tells me, wrapping his arms around me as the elevator door closed. I struggle against him until he finally lets go of me, when it's too late for me to get off. I go to the far end of the elevator so I'm as far away from him as possible.

"What the hell! I obviously don't want to be anywhere near you right now! Can't you see that?" I yell at him.

"Kellin, I was worried about you. Where did you go?" He asks.

"That's none of your fucking business." I seethed. "I couldn't care less about how worried you were."

"Kellin..." He says softly. I shake my head.

"You're not sweet talking your way out of this one. You said it yourself. You and me aren't a thing. We're never going to be a thing." I blurt out. There's silence. "Look... let's just go back to you being my bodyguard and me being the rich kid you need to keep from dying."

He looks down at his feet. "Yeah. That's probably best." He answers. Why did I think he was going to fight for me? Yell and scream that it couldn't be that way, not after what happened two months ago. Fuck. I'm just a stupid kid to him. He's never going to see me as anything more than that.

The elevator finally got to the penthouse and I rushed out, running to my room and slamming the door behind me, closing my eyes, and letting out a deep sigh.

"Kellin Bostwick?" Someone asks, making my eyes dart open. There was a man in a black suit sitting on my bed. He stands, reaching into the front pocket of his jacket, taking out a badge that said FBI. "I'm going to need you to come with me."