Six - The Rooftop Scene

Of course, it was still summer. There was nowhere private. The mall was filled to bursting with groups of gossiping middle school girls. Every park had armies of toddlers and their parents swarming the swing sets and slides. Anywhere else was littered with loitering teens. Jeremy sighed as he stared out across the city. He and Michael were perched atop the last building they wanted to be at, but it was also the only one that everyone else was avoiding, too. It was a good thing the service ladder to the roof of the high school was super obvious behind the dumpsters out back.
     Jeremy's heart was racing. He'd never shown anyone his dragon form. Not since he got the human one, at least. He usually only transformed to try and figure out any weird new powers. Michael was looking sideways at him, smirking a little as the evening sun filtered through spotty clouds. The dying light flashed on Michael's glasses and threw golden highlights into his dark hair. Jeremy fiddled with the sleeves of his sweater, feeling a blush creep up his neck and a flame sneak into his throat. He coughed it away.
     "So?" Michael's voice was deeper than usual. He was trying too hard not to sound excited. "How does this work?"
     "I, um..." Jeremy blinked and turned away, biting his lip. "I just sort of turn back? I've never thought about how."
     "You mean to tell me you've been doing this for your whole life and don't know how it works?"
     "Shut up," Jeremy muttered, pacing away from Michael. He steadied himself, looking down at his converse on the concrete roof. "You might want to stand back." Jeremy didn't check to see if Michael had listened. If he turned around now, he wouldn't be able to do this. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath.
    It could sort of be described as floating. Jeremy focused on his breathing, letting his mind drift away from his body like a balloon. Michael let out a strangled yelp behind him.
     "Dude! You weren't kidding!" Jeremy opened his eyes, the feeling returning to his limbs. He blinked slowly, getting used to the weight of wings against his back and the tail curled around him on the roof. He finally looked down at Michael, who was staring up at him, mouth slightly agape in a sideways grin. Jeremy paced around slowly, keeping an eye on his boyfriend so as not to misstep and hurt him. He lay down, folding his legs underneath himself and placing his head between his forelegs. That was the word, right? He stared into Michael's eyes.

     Well fuck.
     There was a dragon in front of him. An actual, fairy tale dragon was staring Michael down. The wall of silver scales shone in the sunset. Soft blues and purples shifted to platinum, spiking in a ridge down its spine to the tip of its tail. Sharp, steely horns curved back from the dragon's face. It's steel blue eyes were almost crossed so it could look down its snout at him. A cloud of hot air wafted out of its nostrils, steaming against Michael's glasses. As much as his mind screamed at him to run for his life, however, Michael was grinning like an idiot.
     "Jeremy? You in there?" The dragon shifted, its bat-like wings fanning out along its sides.
     "I don't know where I would've gone," it said with a nervous laugh. Jeremy said with a nervous laugh. As different as he looked, that was definitely Jeremy's voice. Michael snickered to himself. This dragon, who had a head the size of a small car and could swallow him whole, was Jeremy, complete with his high, trembling voice. If his boyfriend wasn't a hulking reptile right now, Michael probably would've kissed him.
     "So how's it feel, bro?"
     "What do you mean?"
     "You're a giant lizard with wings. There's gotta be something cool about it."
     "It's pretty normal, really..." Jeremy shifted again. His scales scraped against the rooftop. "I'm not used to other people being around, though. You look so tiny." Michael laughed and reached his hand up to Jeremy's snout.
     "Right. It's not like you're the size of a bus." Michael brushed his fingers along Jeremy's scales. They were smooth and warm, a lattice of armor.
     "This isn't about my dick, Michael," Jeremy said with a snicker. Sparks danced out of his nose, making Michael jump back. He didn't mind the fire when Jeremy was human-sized, but standing in front of a flying flamethrower was an easy way to become barbecue.
     "'Course not. Charizard." Michael squinted at Jeremy, who giggled again, revealing a maw of daggers. "Dude, your teeth are sick."
     "Thanks?" Jeremy was averting his gaze now, lifting his head and looking to the sky. He played with his claws for a moment, lost in thought. "I think I'm ready to head home. This is..."
     "Awesome?"
     "Freaky." Michael snorted. Jeremy looked back at him. "What's so funny?"
     "Nothing. It's just--" Michael was laughing hysterically now. "You're weirded out? I'm talking to something that could eat me! In one bite!"
     "Ew. Why would I do that?" Jeremy's disgust only made Michael laugh harder. "Besides, people won't form an angry mob against you if they see us up here."
     "Have you ever been attacked by an angry mob, Jer?"
     "I'm not taking any chances."