Forgiveness |5|

Guys!!! You should be dang glad I was bored in Algebra class, cuz now I was able to finish a whole lot of this chapter in my notebook! Best thing is, you get to choose something at the end of the chapter! Yay! ... Nay? okay...

~//~

3rd POV

"(Y/N)!" Gabriel screamed as he burst out of the base's entrance. He ran out onto the snow-blanketed grounds, the pain and guilt already tearing his sanity apart. He screamed the same name over and over again in hopes that the person who's picture flooded his head would come back. When no response was given, the commander's body fell limp, dropping to his knees and letting the wind envelope him in a cold embrace.

Following him was the blonde soldier, his eyes dulled in realization that the girl he loved was out of reach. Out of his reach. Leaning on the frame of the open metal doors, he cried in defeat, burying his head in his hands. He failed to keep her in his arms. She slipped through his fingers in a second, the one second when he doubted her existence in this organization. Mustering up his strength, he approached his friend with heavy feet. Sitting in the snow beside the man, he stared out into the woods.

"She's not coming back, is she?" he croaked. He didn't want to believe the harsh reality they were put through.

Gabe stayed silent, too broken to answer. It was his fault she left. He shouldn't have been so harsh on her. He was supposed to be there for her, but he wasn't. What good was he now that he's lost her?

"Jack, do you still have that knife she made us?" His dead voice rang.

Jack nodded without looking at him. He reached into his back pocket and pulled out a small black knife, flipping it over a few times. He admired the work of their comrade... their love. He read the engravings on it, "Smile away the tears." He gripped the handle tightly then turned to ask, "Why?"

Gabe took his time to answer. He looked like he was in deep thought. His fists clenched around his own knife.

"Take mine and push both of them into my heart. One for her, and one for the tea-" The loud sound of a sharp slap reverberated in the open. Gabe was left facing the other side in a split second, a stinging sensation resting on his cheek.

"If (Y/N) never told me not to land a punch on you, I'd already done it," Jack pulled his hand back, huffing furiously. "Don't you dare run away. Think goddammit! Do you honestly think she left just so you could take your own life?! No. Scratch that. Ask ME to take it?!" Jack yelled at him, furious at what his friend asked of him. "Even with the knives she gave us..." he trailed off, putting his knife back in his pocket. He clenched his fist as his blood boiled, but the shock he felt when he heard sobbing made it curdle. He turned his attention to the direction of the sound.

Gabe's heart shattered. He knew it was a stupid thing to suggest, but what else was he supposed to do other than punish himself? He gritted his teeth, thinking over and over again how stupid and selfish he was. He did the only thing he could do now... Cry.

Jack looked away and stared up at the sky. He thought back to the line engraved in their knives. "She would've laughed if she saw us like this. Crying in the snow, acting like total-"

"Babies..." Gabe completed the sentence, wiping the remaining tears in his eyes. He composed himself and pulled his beanie over his eyes, chuckling. "Nah. She'd be running to her room, buried in blankets and scarves, and drinking hot chocolate all day," he took the beanie off his head, and ran his fingers through his inky black hair. They laughed together, recalling all the other winters they had. Gabe sighed, held the warm cloth in his hands, and looked off into the distance with red puffy eyes that matched his friend's. "She'll come back to radar... hopefully," he stood up, placing his beanie back on. "And when she does... You know what to do," he offered a hand to the man he sat with.