008 | welcome home

"We're home," Dom's deep baritone voice rang out, waking me from my slumber

"We're home," Dom's deep baritone voice rang out, waking me from my slumber. "How can you be sleeping? You've only just woken up," Dom said with a laugh as he opened his car door and climbed out, leaving me rolling my eyes at his teasing.

Feeling my door being opened, I swing my legs out as my brother helps me up and grabs my bag silently. I quickly itchy my arm underneath the cast before Dom could tell me off again. Not my fault the cast is irritating.

"So, when are we going to talk about it?" I asked my big brother as he practically carried me up the stairs to 1327, my home. The place I had literally been born, that was a fun story told by Dom on every birthday.

Dom just looked at me with a raised eyebrow, but he knew what I was getting at "you know what I mean, Dom," I argue, wincing after accidentally shifting my ribs.

My brother sighed and rubbed a hand over his face, immediately looking stressed. I didn't want to make him feel bad, but this wasn't normal behavior from him. "Look, we'll talk later. Just don't ruin this for them?"

I frowned at his words. "Ruin what?" The door was quickly thrown open, and a party popper was opened in my face making me jump in fright once again, hurting my ribs.

Glancing up in surprise, I grin, seeing my family at the door, all smiling with funky-looking party hats, party poppers, and horns. "Welcome home!" they all shouted as Dom laughed next to me.

I glanced over at him, but he just shook his head with a smile, which I took as don't tell them he nearly told me about the surprise and probably the argument he had in the hospital too.

Suddenly I found myself wrapped in a small set of trembling arms and instantly knew who had tangled themselves around me. "Hey Mi," I whispered as my older sister shook as she cried.

"I'm so sorry," she sobbed when she pulled back from me, her eyes wandering over my injured frame. Her crying almost made me cry too.

I grabbed her hand and smiled, keeping back the tears that threatened to fall. "It's not your fault. Any of you," I added as I looked at all the faces staring back at me, each guiltier than the last, "We're family."

They smiled before Letty gently pulled me into the house, showing me all the decorations they had put up just for me. Well, she had; the boys started firing party cannons at each other before being shooed away by Mia.

Jesse played music after a while, and everyone started to chill out as if nothing had changed. Dom explained to everyone what the doctor had said about my injuries, and my sister had a minor panic over the brain bruise.

"Let's see the damage then, girl," Leon asked when he sat next to me on the couch, beer in hand, as he nodded to my arm.

Grinning, I took off my cardigan and put my arm into his hand as he let out a whistle. "Man, I hate to be the person who pisses you off" He laughed as the others joined in.

"Wait!" I called out, getting an idea, and started to look through the drawers in the cupboard, smiling when I found what I needed. "Sign me?" I say, holding up the black sharpie.

My family gave me a nod and passed the pen around as they all left me something on my cast in their own special way.

Dom had to smack Leon and Vince upside of the head when they tried to draw things that shouldn't ever be drawn on a 17-year-old's arm, so they settled for our family motto, 'Ride or Die.'

Letty grinned, writing on my arm, and I smiled reading the words that we often recited to each other "Mi Vida Loca" that was our thing, our saying. Although we both loved our life with our family and racing, we agree it's crazy.

"Where'd Jesse go?" I ask, glancing around, holding the pen. He was the only one who hadn't signed it. You couldn't keep the jittery mechanic in one place for too long.

"The mad scientist is in the kitchen," Dom piped up from in front of the TV as he watched Vince and Leon load up the PlayStation, the sky was already turning dark, so I assumed it would be a family night in.

Walking into the kitchen, I noticed Jesse hunched over the counter, pen in hand, scribbling on a piece of paper. "Hey Jesse," I greeted, startling him. He got so laser-focused sometimes.

"Sign my cast?" I questioned, handing him the sharpie, knowing he'd have thousands of ideas running through his head, so I just placed my arm on the counter and let him doddle away.

It was quiet for a moment which already was strange for him. He was usually sprouting off all sorts of ideas or thoughts to me. "I ah just want to say about the CPS thing, I'm here for you," He mumbled as he continued to draw.

"What CPS thing?"

"You know that hot child protection lady that threatened Dom when you were-" Jesse finally looked up at me, his face now turning pale in realization. "-Unconscious... shit Ro, wait!".

I stormed back into the living room where the others were mid-celebration, not caring about my body screaming at me in pain. I needed to know if it was true and why they kept it from me.

The way everyone in the hospital was acting suddenly made great sense to me. The way Doctor Hanson seemed uncomfortable with my brother, the nurse who asked what my home life was like.

"When were you going to tell me about the child protection coming to the hospital before or after they take me away!" I shout lividly, staring at my brother, who drops his beer bottle.

"What- how did you?" Dom started just as Jesse poked his head around the door frame giving a little wave. His eyes were filled with guilt as he shuffled towards the basement door.

"JESSE!" Everyone shouted, making the skittish designer run into the basement where his bedroom was.

"Don't yell at him, at least he told me. When were you going to tell me?" Sticking up for Jesse wasn't new to me; we were close in age, and he didn't really have a great capacity for understanding social cues. "Does everyone but me know?"

No one stepped up; they all shuffled awkwardly.

"Well?" I yelled again, glancing around the room and noticing them all look at me guiltily. They all knew. Leon couldn't even meet my eyes, and Mia blatantly turned away from my gaze.

"I didn't tell you because it's not happening," Dom told me sternly as if that was that. My sister had begun to pick up the broken bottle pieces, still avoiding my eyes.

"Oh well, I'm glad the great Dominic Toretto can control child services" My brother winced at my tone. I was well aware I could be really mean when I wanted to be, "That's not your choice Dom. We have no choice," my voice cracked with the realization of what could happen.

"I don't want to go...I-" Shaking my head, I let out an unsteady breath "-I still deserved to know" Walking away to my room, I needed time to be alone, I knew it wasn't any of their faults, but I was scared and upset.

I was nearly 18, surely, this wouldn't go on for that long, and if they took me from my family by some horrible chance, I'll suck it up and come back after my birthday.

I can be strong.