022 | goodbye, 1327

Slamming the phone down on the counter, I groaned as another lead of mine fell through

Opening my notebook, I crossed out yet another place Dom could have been. I mean, how hard could it be to find him; he was well-known to racers pretty much everywhere.

"You need to stop this," I heard my sister's voice say from the doorway, holding onto the paper grocery bags she was bringing in. I glanced up at her as she looked at me in concern. She'd seen me run myself into the ground searching for Dom.

"He's our brother Mia. We can't turn our backs on him," I mumbled as I wrote the information in my note-covered book. I had been at this a long time, and lead after lead always fell through.

It was frustrating. I thought by now, something would have changed. A part of me selfishly hoped that Dom was brought back somehow.

Hearing my phone ring, I quickly picked it up as I saw my sister look at my phone in hope. "Hello?" I greeted into the phone in yearning before deflating, "Yeah, a tune-up. That's fine. I've got time tomorrow. Bring your car to the garage then".

Putting down the phone, I noted tomorrow's tune-up appointment at the garage. "It's been 5 years, baby. He doesn't want to be found," Mia whispered, sitting opposite me at the table.

I slammed my hand down on the table. "I don't care," I shouted until I saw the look on her face. "I'm sorry, Mi. I thought I would have found something by now," I apologized to my older sister.

It had only been the two of us for the last five years, and we'd grown even closer than before, but I thought my brother, Letty, Vince, or at least Leon would have been home by now, and we would be a family again.

I went from being a 17-year-old baby of the family to a 22-year-old with a chip on her shoulder. I took over DT Auto, and Mia continued to work at the family cafe. We would barely make ends meet without the garage, the races, and my illegal winnings.

"I just... I don't know what to do anymore," I admitted as my sister reached over and took my hand, somehow looking older than her years.

"You need to let it go," she told me as I frowned at her in desperation, but I understood her worry. I'm 2 years older now than she was when Dom left, so she should know how I'm feeling.

"I can't," I stuttered, looking at my overflowing book. I had been searching for five years for a brother I needed. I lost 5 people that day, and I've not been the same since.

My phone rang again, and I sighed, picking it up and rubbing my eyes. "Yeah?" I mumbled, ready to book another car in for fixing. "What?" I spluttered as the voice on the other end gave me the news I had been waiting on for 5 years.

"Are you sure?" I asked carefully as the voice confirmed what they had said. "Thank you so much" I put the phone down and looked up at Mia. "It's him; they found him."

Mia gasped, holding her hands to her mouth, trying to peek at my book, but I pulled it away from her gaze. "Where?" Her face seemed brighter all of a sudden.

Glancing down at my book, I read the words I had quickly written. "The Dominican Republic," I told her as I stood up, grabbed my phone, and walked out of the kitchen.

Mia rushed after me immediately. "Where are you going?" she asked, gobsmacked as I started collecting things I needed and placing them inside a backpack.

"Dominican Republic, baby," I grinned as my sister watched me worriedly. "I can do this, Mia. I'm a big girl now," I told her softly, holding onto her arms before moving away again.

"Well, what about that car tune-up tomorrow?" she spluttered, following me again. Her excuse was weak, but I sort of understood her reasoning. She'd never quite gotten over her fear of my leaving her.

I turned to her, my eyebrows raised at her delay tactics. "I'll just get someone else to do it, I may be the boss, but they can handle the garage without me for a while."

Mia looked at me again thoughtfully before sighing as she looked at me determined, "Just find him" I nodded with a grin and ran upstairs and to my room.

Gone was the pink and girly room; now, my walls were gray, and everything was minimalist. I didn't spend much time here as I used to. Between working all day and racing most of the night, I didn't have time for sleep.

The doors to the other rooms are permanently closed now, and other than Mia's room, I didn't dare step foot in them. It was like a museum in them. Everything was left exactly as it was 5 years ago.

Opening up my duffle bag, I packed it with clothes, makeup, money, and things I'd need for my trip to the Dominican. Slamming the draw of my nightstand, I swore when a picture fell to the ground.

Picking up the frame, I smiled at the picture; it was of Dom and me from when I was a newborn. I was lying in his arms, and he looked down at me like I was the most precious thing he'd ever seen.

He told me years after that he had been afraid of hurting me. Although he'd held Mia as a baby, he said seeing me was different.

I had plenty of pictures with Dom and Mia but not a lot of my dad, I had a few of him, but that didn't stop Dom from showing me pictures of him as I grew up without him.

Placing it back in its place carefully, I stood up, grabbing my bags before walking to my door. Glancing back into my room, I gave a sigh turning off the light and feeling a little forlorn. I don't know when I'd be back here next.

Carrying my bags downstairs, I saw Mia sitting on the couch with her head in her hands. I hated seeing her like that. "Mia?" I called quietly, almost like I didn't want to spook her.

My sister gazed up at me and shakily stood. "I want you to promise me something," she begged as I nodded immediately. "If you don't find him, you come home straight away,"

I pulled her into my arms and held onto her tightly. "I promise," I didn't want to leave her here alone, but I needed to do this for the both of us. "Are you going to be okay?" I questioned, taking my car keys from her clasped hands.

"Would it make you stay?" Mia asked, looking into my eyes as I became conflicted. I wanted to find Dom but wouldn't turn my back on my sister just to find him. "Just be safe," she whispered, pushing me towards the door.

"I'll be back before you know it," I told her, picking up my bags and walking to the front door. "I love you, Mia," my sister smiled tearfully at my words.

"I love you too" I grinned at her reply as I opened the door and walked to my car. It was hard not to just turn around and tell Mia I wasn't going, but I needed to do this.

Yes, I was scared, but I was also furious. My brother had left us to fend for ourselves for too long; he hadn't even tried to contact us. He didn't even know if we were alive, and that vexed me.

I was glad it was dark right now. Even though it had been 5 years, we were still being watched now and then. Seriously, even we knew Dom wasn't coming home, so why didn't the police get that memo.

Getting into my car, I put the key in the ignition and glanced back at my house for a minute, I couldn't help but feel like I would never see it again, but I knew I was just being melodramatic.

It would all be okay. I'll fly to the Dominican, find Dom, and kick his ass for leaving us. Simple.

Listening to the familiar roar of the car my family built me, I smiled softly as I placed my hands on the wheel. "Goodbye, 1327".