Chapter Five

"Let me see the picture again," Shane muttered, waving his hand in front of Lorraine's face.

"Back off, Malcolm. I know she's pretty and all," Lorraine laughed, enjoying moments like this one. It was nice to see Shane worked up about stuff at work that wasn't business related. The man was annoyingly serious at work.

Shane kept on pacing, ignoring her reply. "I know that face, and the name."

"I didn't tell her it was you though. Don't want a crazed fan now, do we?" she laughed.

He ignored her again. "You know the funniest thing?" He stood in front of her, hands buried deep into his pockets.

"What?" She asked, biting her lip and hoping she hadn't messed up.

"I know that face from somewhere. When I was growing up maybe. Then the name, it's nagging at me. But I know it's recent," he snapped his fingers.

"Alright, alright. You want to meet her?"

"Yeah. Sure," he watched her pick up her laptop and then walk out, closing the door gently.

He knew the face and name was familiar.

He wondered if it was someone he had hooked up with at some time. It would be very awkward asking a hooker to marry him. Since they were the only people he slept with after Ava.

Ava.

The name held sweet and bitter memories for him.

Time had dulled the pain a little, but his heart still hurt from thinking about her. He rubbed his chest, trying to soothe the tightness growing there.

He kept seeing her in his mind, no matter how much he tried to forget her various features of hers kept popping up in his head. Her dark, long hair that had wrapped around him when they were in bed together, the hair he usually wrapped around his fingers as he fucked her from behind. It was the same hair that wrapped around Lucas's hands when he had caught them together.

He fisted his hands in his hair.

Forget.

Just forget her, his mind begged.

Maybe it was time to remember. He had never really dealt with her betrayal. Five years with him pushing it to the back of his mind was catching up to him.

He picked up a shot glass, and poured himself whiskey from the mini bar in his office. He drank the shot in one swallow, blinking back tears.

He laughed hysterically as he immediately wiped his eyes.

He remembered. Ava kneeling and crawling after him, all attempts to ask him for forgiveness. He remembered her trying to explain herself, saying it wasn't what he thought. As if seeing her heavy breasts bouncing as Luca fucked her from behind could mean anything else. He remembered yelling and throwing things, wanting to be anywhere but where she was. He'd acted like a bloody child, breaking things and trashing their apartment till she had cowered in fear.

He also remembered her taunting him that Luca was a better lover than him weeks after he'd stopped picking up her calls. She had left a string of annoying voicemails and he had promptly deleted them after the first one where she kept talking about how Luca treated her better. He blocked her number immediately after, it had taken a while to get over his bruised ego.

He remembered her laughing, saying she could play the field as well when she'd visited his office after he had blocked her.

He remembered her walking away after that and how he'd pathetically ran after her, ready to take her back. He had been ready to forget she had slept with the only person he had ever hated.