Chapter Ten

Jocelyn's cell rang just as they got into the elevator of Shane's home. She dug in her jean pocket, then put the phone to her ear.

"Hello?"

"Oh, Josie. I love you so much!" Samantha cried loudly.

Jocelyn pulled the phone away from her ear. There was noise in the background, probably the kids at the orphanage. They usually gathered around whenever Sam was calling her or Ian.

"I love you too, Sam. What's all the ruckus about?"

"Your husband came to the orphanage today. He brought a lawyer, they said you were buying the orphanage. Thank you so much, baby," Sam was sniffling. "I never even thought that we would get to stay here. Three million dollars? Who has that kind of money?"

Jocelyn could picture her smiling and crying while bouncing little Justin on her arm. The other kids would gather around, crying and laughing too.

"Um, its my home too. Sam, I have to go now. Bye."

"Wait!" Sam screamed before she could hang up. "You never mentioned a boyfriend, now there's a husband? I know you love keeping things to yourself, but this is extreme, young lady."

Josie sighed, "Bye Sam. I'll drop by later."

The elevator doors opened as she ended the call. Shane had been unusually quiet since the red thong episode.

"Sam? Who's Sam? You love someone else?" Shane asked from beside her. She turned to look at him, a muscle was ticking in his jaw.

"What? Sam is the matron of the orphanage," she huffed. "I wouldn't agree to this deal if I was in love with anybody."

She had never considered loving anybody and Sam was the only person she said it to. She was unsure whether she meant it or not, but she knew she cared deeply about Sam. If that translated to love, Jocelyn didn't really want to know. It was something she had picked up from living at the orphanage. She had heard the older kids say it when she was new at the orphanage and quickly adopted it; afraid that Sam might send her away if she didn't say it. She knew now that Sam wouldn't have, but old habits died hard. So Jocelyn always responded to Sam.

"Sam?" He asked again.

She geatured for him to open the doors of his house. He only stopped to look at her.

"Yeah. Sam as in Samantha. You jealous or something?"

"Of course not," he blurted out then swiped a key card at the door. They slid open. "Welcome to your new home."

"Home," she quietly stated, trying out the word on her lips. She didn't exactly like the sound of that. But she was doing a job. An important one at that. She might as well consider here her temporary living quarters.

* * *

"Do you think I look okay?" Jocelyn smoothed her hands over the purple dress she had on.

Shane turned to look up at her from the foot of the stairs. He gulped, then adjusted his tie, his eyes glued to hers.

"Um, yes," he gave her body a once over, then turned to walk away. "I'll be in the kitchen. Mum will be here any minute from now," he called out just before he took a curve that put him out of sight.

Jocelyn wondered if the dress was presentable enough. She had gone for a purple dinner gown and black strap-on heels. The hem of the cloth was grazing her thighs, leaving her knees and legs exposed. She had worked a purple ribbon into a neat bun on the top of her head.

She walked down the flight of stairs and paused at the hallway mirror. Her face wasn't as pale as before, and for that she was grateful. She wasn't a genius with makeup, but she had managed to apply mascara and lip gloss without completely botching it.

She looked presentable.

She heard the doorbell ring and a muttered curse from the direction  Shane had gone.

She walked towards the kitchen, debating on whether she should just remain at the table or go join him at the door.

"Josie? Come on down. Mum's here," Shane yelled, making the decision for her.

When she finally met Shane at the door, he pulled her closer, tucking her in the crook of his arm.

"We have to be big on affection. Smile, baby."

Jocelyn pasted a smile on her face.

Shane pulled open the double doors. A bouquet of flowers were thrust in his face, he grabbed it, giving the man a dark look. The man ignored Shane and stood in front of them without saying anything.

"For the lady," a sultry voice called out from behind the man. He stepped aside to let her pass.

Jocelyn took the flowers from Shane's tight grip. "Thanks Mrs Malcolm."

"Come on, dear. You are part of the family now. Just call me Maria."

A woman who looked to be in her late thirties peered up at her.

Maria Malcolm was a real beauty. Her skin was free of wrinkles, only smile lines and dimples marred her face. She had the same brown eyes and jet black hair as Shane. She was petite and curvy.

"I'm fifty five but I can totally pass as Shane's sister. I get that look a lot," Maria said as she walked towards the couple.

"Oh," Jocelyn smiled.

"Oh my God! Elaine?" Maria gasped, when she took a closer look at Jocelyn.

"Elaine?" Shane asked looking at his mother and then Jocelyn.

Jocelyn's hands that Shane held began to shake. She pulled away from his grasp and took a step back, then another.

"No, no," Jocelyn whispered. Her eyes widened, her skin paled and sweat began dotting her forehead.

Cliffhanger?

Yeah I know. I'm sorry about that.

Who do you think is Elaine? And why would Maria call Jocelyn Elaine?

Comment, comment, comment!

Please vote!

Junie...