Chapter Thirteen

"No mum. This isn't hiding. I'm freezing in here, my wrists and ankles hurt. Besides, daddy won't ever hurt me," I was pleading with mum.

"Your dad is a monster, Lyn. You have to be quiet, remember if you behave, you can come out. You won't have to stay in here for a day like before." Mum was closing the lid of the fridge, with me inside, and bound.

I wanted to tell her she was the monster. I wanted to tell her dad was only a drunk, a drunk who was mad at the world for his loss. I wanted to tell her how much I hated her, my own mother. I wanted her to know how much dad's drinking was better than the pills she took that made her crazy.

But I couldn't, I knew she was beyond reasoning. She was crazy. Only an insane person would lock up her own eight year old child in a fridge, handcuffed and with her legs tied together. Only a sick person would have a glint of amusement in their eyes, watching their own offspring almost freeze to death.

"Mummy, please. I'll hide somewhere else, I'll go away, just please. I'm freezing in here," I begged again, breaking into sobs. She paused as if considering me, but she shook her head.

"No, Lyn. Here's safe," Mom smiled, then began to close the lid of the fridge.

"Daddy!" I screamed.

Mom shot me a death glare, literally.