Chapter Twenty

Over the next few days, Jocelyn revelled in the memory of the kiss, finding herself reliving the moment, or touching her lips were Shane's had been. And like the coward she was, she also spent a lot of time actively avoiding Shane.

Maria had returned to grab her things, saying an important trip came up, although Shane argued it was a man. Thus, Jocelyn was able to remain in her new room, sneaking down for meals only when Shane was at work.

She spent her days reading, and some going through pictures of Shane on the internet. Daisy had texted a few times, checking to see if she was okay.

Shane had invited her for a fundraiser at his office, she had bailed, feigning a headache at the last minute. Shane seemed to understand her avoiding him, because he soon stopped checking up on her. He usually left the house before dawn and was back late at night, mostly drunk. She had heard him crashing into things a few times, and sometimes, she could hear him laughing loudly.

Jocelyn began to wonder if she had dreamt up the memory of their kiss, because Shane seemed unaffected by it, if not withdrawn. He was no longer his nice, cheerful self. She chalked it up to his being busy with work, but a part of her wondered if he had found her wanting. She had probably been a challenge at first, then when he had gotten a sample of her, decided she wasn't worth it.

Jocelyn sighed, drawing herself out of her depressing thoughts. She tried to focus on the screen in front of her, going through the work for the last time. She was more than ready for the test, but she kept on going through it, her fear of failure pushing her on.

A few hours later, she finally decided she was done reading. She tiptoed down the stairs, hoping Shane wasn't back from work.

She was rounding the corner to the kitchen when she heard the crashing of glass. She ran into the kitchen. Shane was leaning against the sink, his hand buried under the water from the running faucet.

She stepped closer to him, immediately holding back a whimper. She had stepped into the shards of broken glasses. Shane's head whipped around, Jocelyn immediately forgot her injured feet as she took in his disheveled look. His eyes were bloodshot, dark shadows under them, and his hand was bleeding into the sink.

He growled at her, "What are you doing here?"

Jocelyn stepped back, walking into another piece of glass again. "Are you okay?" She tried to keep from wincing in pain, but failed.

Shane noticed it, his eyes went to her face, then to the floor and her feet. His face immediately scrunching up. "I'm so sorry, Josie." He walked towards her, sidestepping the glass and picking her up, bridal style. "I'm so fucking sorry. I was just so mad and frustrated, I lost control. And now you're hurt, because of me." His voice was tight, sounding as if he was in great pain. He hurried up the stairs with no difficulty.

Jocelyn leaned into his chest, fighting to keep her tears at bay. "Its okay. I should have known better, its not your fault Shane," she whispered.

He pushed open the doors to his room, kicking the door shut behind him. He carried her into the bathroom and settled her gently on the closed lid of the toilet.

"Its my fucking fault," he muttered, pulling out a first aid box and kneeling down in front of her. He cradled one of her legs in his large, warm palm.

Jocelyn moaned. She barely felt the pain as she basked in the pleasure of Shane's fingers on her. She wondered what they would feel like on other parts of her body.

Her thought was cut short at the sharp pain that shot through her when Shane pulled out a piece of glass from her foot using a pair of tweezers.

"Shh, it'll be over soon," Shane soothed, blowing on the bleeding leg.

He was done in a few minutes. He had doused the cuts with antiseptic and then ointments. He had also wrapped bandages around her legs, then carried her to his bed.

He placed her gently in the middle of the bed, kissed her forehead, then leaned back. "I'm sorry, Josie." His eyes had cleared up a bit.

Jocelyn shook her head, then patted his hair. "It's just a little cut."

Shane considered her for a moment. "Please stay here tonight. I want to be able to watch over you, take care of you. Just for this night, please." He paused. "I'll go get the couch if you want. Or set up the divide?" He chuckled.

Jocelyn smiled, "We can share the bed, without the divide. Don't get any ideas though. You're to remain in your side of the bed at all times."

Shane beamed, "Perfect."

He walked back into the bathroom, shutting the door behind him. Jocelyn heard him gagging for a full minute as he emptied his stomach. She winced, imagining how terrible he must feel. She made a mental note to talk to him about his alcohol intake. She wasn't sure if it was normal to him, but the man hadn't come home sober in the past four days, and she didn't find it okay.

She heard the toilet flush, then he returned to the bed, smelling of Listerine. He laid beside her, tucking her into his side and sighing contentedly.

"Please don't go away, Josie. I need you," he muttered against her head, kissing her hair before drifting off to sleep.

Jocelyn lay in silence for a while, the weight of Shane beside her was strange, yet soothing to her. She could feel his heart beating against her palm that had ended up pressed against his chest. She could hear his pulse from the thick vein that ran along his arm that she'd laid her head on.

She stared at his sleeping face, noticing how much his features changed when he was relaxed. He looked peaceful, like a baby. She shifted his hair away from his face with the hand that wasn't curling against the warmth of his body. He frowned for a moment, then snuggled in tighter.

She didn't even think about how he had ignored her warning about staying as far apart as possible. Neither did she consider the fact that she hadn't pushed him away. Instead, she had laid her head on his arm, sharing breath with him and wishing he was awake.

This was the first time she'd willingly cuddled with someone. The thought didn't scare her or make her want to shift away. It excited her and she didn't try to go back to her room. She closed her eyes, breathing in the wonderful smell of him and dreamt.

Thoughts on this chapter?

Thanks to all of you reading this book, even those who are not voting. I love you all.

Junie...