Chapter Fifteen

"Seriously, I know we needed the cash. But you didn't have to sell yourself to the man for money," Ian said, eyeing Jocelyn over the rim of his cup. She was folding clothes into several suitcases.

"Ian, I know what I'm doing," Jocelyn replied, snapping the lid of her suitcase down. She zipped it then dragged it down to the floor. Ian had been waiting for her at her door when Shane dropped her off. She appreciated his concern, but at the moment it wasn't what she needed.

"You didn't have to. The bank was going to loan me money," Ian dropped the cup on her nightstand.

Jocelyn paused with the clothes and turned to face him. "You have loans to pay. Stop worrying so much, besides, I'm allowed to help too."

Ian sighed and threw his hands in the air. "Don't you see? You are throwing away your chance of happiness, of true love. You shouldn't be marrying him. What if you find a man you love, would the bastard let you go?"

"Whoever said only a man I love can make me happy? I never even planned on marrying, so marrying for convenience is convenient enough for me. I'm happy when the kids are happy. Having a home makes them happy, so it makes me happy," Jocelyn frowned. "Also don't call him a bastard."

She picked up her laptop, the charger and her phone charger, then placed them in her suitcase.

Ian sighed again, "How much do you know about this Malcolm guy, anyway?" He asked, lifting the suitcase and placing it on the floor beside the other.

"Not much. What are you even doing here? Don't you have a girlfriend or some law book waiting for you somewhere?" Jocelyn eyed him, already irritated. She walked into her bathroom and began tossing her toiletries into a bag.

He followed her. "Not really. Just promise you'll call me if there's any problem, okay?"

Jocelyn nodded. "Well, now that you are here, you can as well move these things to your car and drive me to Shane's home."

Ian scratched his neck. "About that. My car finally died, took the subway."

She took a moment to consider him. He looked terrible and his eyes had dark hollows underneath them. "Have you been eating well?"

Ian turned. "I'll take these out the door and call you a cab." He walked back into her room.

Jocelyn followed behind him. "Ian, answer me."

He sighed, then picked up her suitcases. "Not really. I'm skimping on food, have to buy a new suit. You know, look the part, it comes with the job. My last pay went back to the bank to cover the loans."

"I have food here, you can clear them out. I can help you with a little cash too. I got paid two months advance."

Ian was already shaking his head. "No, I'm supposed to take care of you. Not the other way round," he muttered. "I'm the big brother."

"I can still take care of you," Jocelyn protested as they walked towards the elevator. She knew the only way he was going to accept was if he could pay back. She crossed her fingers, "You can pay me back. Please, Ian. Just accept it. Also you're older than me by a month, so I can still take care of you."

He turned to her, dropping the suitcases outside the elevator as they waited for it to open. He held her face in his large palms. "If you're sure." He kissed her forehead, then pulled her in for a hug. "Thanks."

It was in this position Shane found them when the elevator doors slid open. His eyes narrowed in suspicion.

Jocelyn immediately withdrew, and Ian turned to look at Shane.

"You're back already?" Jocelyn asked, her voice hoarse. She cleared her throat, looking away from him.

"My first meeting got canceled. Figured I'd help you pack, to kill time. But I guess cute guy here beat me to it," Shane replied drily. His eyes had not left Ian's face since he stepped out of the elevator and he was currently giving the man a dark look.

"Hi, guess you're the Malcolm guy?" Ian smiled, stretching out his hand.

Shane stared at the hand for a few seconds before shaking it. He held Ian's hand in a much tighter grip, smiling at him. Jocelyn noticed his dimples were hidden. This was the smile he reserved for the paparazzi.

"Yeah, I'm Shane Malcolm." He turned to Jocelyn. "Who is he?"

"This is Ian Incetti, my erm..." Jocelyn looked at Ian for confirmation. Shane's brows rose at that. Ian folded his arms on his chest and stared at her, curious as to what she'd call him. "My brother, sorta."

Ian smiled warmly at her, obviously liking her choice of words. Jocelyn had never introduced Ian to any one as her brother before. Although they were not related by blood, Samantha had drilled it into everyone at the orphanage that they were all one part of a big family.

Shane looked between the two, then relaxed his stance. He tucked his hands into his front pocket. "Is this all your stuff?" He asked her.

"No, I'd go get the rest," she replied, stepping away from them.

Shane turned to look at Ian. "So you're Italian?"

Ian nodded.

"You don't have an accent."

"I grew up here. Can't even speak the fucking language, man" Ian looked towards Jocelyn who was clearly listening to them as she struggled to find her keys in her purse. He lowered his voice, "If you hurt her, you'd be dealing with me."

Shane nodded and gave the younger man a smile. "I'm looking forward to it, man."

"Snap out of it boys, I can still here you," Jocelyn called out before slipping into her apartment.

"I meant what I said." Ian muttered before walking back to Jocelyn's door.

"I know, big guy. I'm taking this to my car," Shane replied, grabbing the suitcases and entering the elevator. Ian nodded and kept on walking, wordlessly coming to a sort of agreement with Shane.

Thanks for reading this, I'm glad.
Keep voting and leaving comments.