Chapter 4: Step 1 in Breaking a Fragile Heart: Don't

Chapter 4:  Step 1 in Breaking a Fragile Heart: Don't

(POV: Charlotte)

The early morning sun, shining very brightly on my face, woke me. I blinked, my blurry vision clearing up a bit. Glancing up at the clock, the time read 6:50, and the date read saturday. Hey, didn't Glenn have a big game coming up this weekend?

Switching my monitor over to the portable one, I rise from my bed and turn my gaze over to where Annie is. Yesterday was our last full together, and now she will be sharing a room with another girl her age. We had grown to be great friends within the past several days though, and we still planned to hang out in the cafe and stuff. I'll be visiting her tons for sure. The sickly child slept soundly, not even a snore escaping her. I heard that was because she had her tonsils removed at a very young age.

I pulled a jacket over my tank top, and stuffed the monitor into the pocket of it. Grabbing my phone, I made my way out the door, to go call Glenn. Nurse Tammy sat at the desk at the Nurse's station. She glanced up at me. "You're up early this morning, going somewhere?"

"Just outside real quick to call my boyfriend, if you don't mind my doing so," she gave me a nod.

"Be back by 7:15 for your vital check," she reminded me, turning her attention back to her work.

"Got it," I smiled, making my way down the halls to go outside. I think Glenn had to get up early, so hopefully he will answer his phone. He said he was going to an area where the phone reception wasn't the best, so I want to be able to talk to him before he goes, to wish him good luck.

Dialing his number once I'm outside, I wait quite an unusual amount of time before he picks up. He turns his phone off when he goes to bed at night, but otherwise keeps it very close to him at all times. Must have left it upstairs or something, he always was a little clumsy. "Oh, hey babe."

"Hey hun, you getting ready to leave for that big basketball tournament, or whatever it is you have?" I asked, letting off a smile.

"Oh yeah. I'm leaving in about an hour, just getting ready now," he sounded a little off. Must have been practicing a lot last night, as he says he does best when the moon shines bright, so I didn't mention it.

"Well I won't hold you up too much then. Where are you going?" I asked him.

"To a little town on the southern part of the island. It's in a rather remote location, and the reception isn't great there so I'm not sure if I'll be able to contact you," he noted.

"Well then I'll wish you good luck now. You'll do great out there babe, and I look forward to seeing you when you return."

"I do to, love. I'll miss you."

"Miss you too, now you go finish getting ready," I made a kissing noise, and he returned it, and we both hung up at the same time. I heard a low beeping getting louder and louder from my pocket. Thinking it was my battery on my portable monitor, I went to go check it. Watching the screen though, it wasn't the battery at all. It was my heart, beating fast. I noticed how I balled my phone into my fist, and how I grit my teeth together. What was I so nervous about? Was it Glenn traveling down south? Memories of driving back from a little family vacation faded back into my mind. That other driver coming out from nowhere...

I shook the images from my brain, and went back inside. I had calmed by the time I made it back to my room, where Nurse Tammy was checking up on a now awake Annie. "Hey Lottie!" she greeted me with a smile.

I put a smile back on my face for the young girl. "Hey Annie, how are you feeling this morning?"

"Good, but a little sad. I' going to miss you here. Will you be okay staying in the room alone?"