Chapter Eighteen: They sing all day/ And they haunt me at night

TWO DAYS LATER, I'm at a very crowded LAX, sitting in one of the comfortable couches as I wait for Lari and the others to hit California soil. Per usual, people stare at me as they pass, their eyes doing that thing where they glaze over as if they are hypnotized by me. I once wondered why people stared at me with that glazed over expression, but now I know. Somehow--because of an instinct they aren't even aware of-they can sense that my soul wasn't like theirs. They can sense the soul of an alien residing within my human body.

Typically, these stares would rouse some kind of emotion. Be it anger or annoyance, but not today.

Ever since the night I'd told Xerxion Rania of the Cosmos was dead and never coming back, I hadn't seen him at all. Every now and then as I walked to the library for work and walked back home, I could sense his gaze on me, proof that he was watching me from afar, checking to make sure I was okay. I suppose that makes me feel a bit better, the fact that he at least cares if I live or die. But, he'd made no move to approach me.

Could I really blame him?

I've seen the memories. I know how much he loved her and how much she loved him. I must have brought his world crashing down around him when I told him she was gone forever and all I am is a pale imitation.

A glimmer of blonde hair catches my attention as fair-skinned hands wave wildly in the air. I focus on this flurry of movement and realize it's Lari. A wide smile stretching across her too-pretty-to-be-thirteen face bright as she sprints toward me. I stand up and take them all in. Tyson, Noah, Jacob, Ava, and Miss. June are right behind her, each doing their own thing. Tyson is holding onto Ava's chubby little hands tightly, Noah has his earphones in, volume-undoubtedly-cranked all the way up. Jacob is on his cell-phone, thumbs moving swiftly as he types, no doubt updating his conspiracy theory blog. And Miss. June is walking with the slow gait of a queen, her strawberry blonde hair-slightly greying-is pulled up and away from her attractive face is a tight bun. Despite the wrinkles around her eyes that give way to her age, Miss. June is actually very pretty. But the air around her is one that tells you she doesn't want you to approach her.

"Rania!" Lari says exuberantly, throwing herself into my arms and forcing me back a couple of steps. "I missed you."

As she begins blubbering and talking about how she never wants to be separated again, the others form a crowd around me, each of them taking turns greeting me.

And just like that-although my bad mood doesn't pass-in the presence of my kids, it becomes so much more bearable.

After the kids get their things settled, we end up at Adalene's. Per usual, Noah and Jacob stay home. Noah says he'll be no fun since he's got to level up on the latest MMORPG game and Jacob says he's got some studying to do. And by studying, I know this means he will be on the darkest corners of the internet searching for something to add to his conspiracy blog.

We sit at our usual booth by the window. It's one of those spots where the natural light hits perfectly and gives the already très classy cafe something extra. In the middle of the table is a sterling silver tray filled with colorful macaroons, croissants, and mini croque monsieurs.

"I've missed this place," Lari says, taking in a deep breath. "London is amazing, but Adalene's is like my home."

"I'm glad you guys had a good time," I say, patting Ava's head affectionately as she shovels a tiny sandwich into her little mouth. You'd think someone so tiny wouldn't be able to eat so much, but Ava is one little girl who can eat.

"London is a very interesting place," Ty pipes up, eyes brightening. "We were able to visit Buckingham Palace and the Tower of London. Oh, and we got to see the Westminster Abbey. So much history all in one place." Ty shook his head, looking delighted. "Now I only need to visit about twenty other countries to sate my love of history."