Chapter Twenty-Six: We should just kiss like real people do

XERXION'S EYES SEEM relieved when I round the corner with Rhea following close behind. Amara is leaning over the youthful warrior's shoulder, looking at something as he speaks lowly to her. I can't understand a lot of what he's saying, but I can hear words like, "working again" and "going home."

The Middle-Eastern man, Akin, is leaning against the wall, his eyes watching as Tarina sharpens her blades. He looks bitterly disappointed, almost like he was hoping that In Tempestate would get in so he could have an excuse to fight.

"Rania."

Xerxion says my name softly, but somehow it draws attention. Everyone just stops what they're doing and turns to stare at me. Even the loud sound of Tarina sharpening her blades is abruptly cut off as she turns to look at me.

It's no secret I am used to stares. They have followed me my entire life. When rumors spread that you're a freak unwanted by your parents, people can't seem to help but stare. But being stared at like you're some otherworldly entity by a ship full of aliens is another thing altogether. I can't help but feel uncomfortable under their searching gazes.

Perhaps sensing my discomfort, Xerxion turns to them sharply and says, "It's about time I take Rania home. I think she's done enough for today. Unless..." He looks at me, his gaze softer. "Do you want to keep training?"

My mind's eye flashes back to a few moments ago. Xerxion's arms wound tightly around me, his face close to mine, the birthmark we share burning incredibly hot as his lips moved closer to my own.

My heart is taking off in my chest now, quick and heavy like helicopter blades. Xerxion's eyes are steady on my face, his eyes telling me that he knows what I am thinking because he is thinking it, too. Xerxion's eyes are too easy for me to read. I know that if we go back to that training room, he will have a hard time focusing on simply training me. After being so close to each other, this invisible thread between us is pulling us closer and closer still.

Clearing my throat, I say, "I want to learn as much as possible-"

The annoying sound of my phone ringing cuts through the air. Tarina clutches her blades tightly and the others around us tense, not knowing where the sound is coming from. I, on the other hand, hiss a sigh of annoyance as I dig my phone out of my back pocket, squinting at the number with pursed lips.

"Jacob," I say when I answer the phone. "Why are you-?"

"Rania," Jacob says, his voice sounding panicked. "Are you okay?"

My eyebrows push together and my annoyance is turned to worry. Jacob isn't the panicky type, so listening to his voice-shaky and barely put together-makes me nervous automatically.

"Is something wrong? Are you okay? Are Lari, Ty, and Noah okay? Is Ava-?" My voice-which had gotten higher and higher with each word I spoke-breaks off when I say the last name.

"No, no, we're all fine. But, you might not be."

First, there is relief. My kids are all safe. Then, there is confusion. There's no way Jacob could possibly know about In Tempestate. According to his information, there had only been two alien crafts on Earth-Xerxion's ship and Ithuriel's ship. My mind branches off in different places, then. I first think that maybe Ithuriel did something to them, but I dismiss the theory because Jacob said they were fine. I was the one who he was worried about.

Then, I remember we have more than alien enemies to worry about.

"What happened?" I ask, slowly.

"These creepy dudes showed up at the door, said they were FBI," Jacob begins, his voice sounding oddly pleased as he spoke. "Of course, I've been studying the government for way too long to not know who they are. Fatima was the one who opened the door and let them in. They questioned her, Tori and Luke about you. They asked weird questions. Stuff about your parents, that kind of thing. They wanted to question Miss. June, but she was out of the house like she always is. After they left, this weird car parked outside of our house and has been here for the past couple of hours.