Chapter 18- Paya

"Jane, are you okay?" Maki asked as he came over and lifted the branches off of me and I was pulled out by Dark. The rain stopped and it was now getting a little warmer and mist stayed low on the ground as I was held by Dark. My ankle throbbed lightly and I was shaking, but I was so happy to be alive.  

"Y-yeah..that was terrifying" I whispered and looked up at Dark who was looking me over before she picked me up bridal style and held my shaking and wet body to her chest. 

Her skin was also wet but she was warm it made me feel safe and she looked over her shoulder, I could hear shuffling behind her "What should we do with her?" Maki's voice rumbled low as Dark fully turned around and I could see Maki looking down at the female, I could see her chest rise slowly, her breathing looked shallow. Dark made a sound, it sounded like disgust but also anger.

"Tie her up and bring her back to the ship. The Council will decide her fate. But if it was up to me, I would kill her." She almost hissed and the male nodded his head lightly then brought out some rope from the bag hanging on his side. It was quiet as Dark carried me through the dark jungle, I could hear Maki behind me, he was grumbling and I could hear the discomfort in his voice. That female he had over his shoulders was not small or light at all, it took all of his strength to even carry the female. I looked up at the female who was carrying me.

"How'd you find me?" my voice soft as I watched Dark tilt her head down, the mask had droplets of water that dropped from the trees. She was quiet and looked ahead of her "there's a tracking device in your choker" she had hesitated to say those words and I blinked up at her, my hand unconsciously went up to touch the choker "w-what? Why?" I breathed out in slight shock and she sighed softly as she fixed me in her arms.

"So we can keep an eye on you. There are other species that come and trade here, if they saw you, a hybrid, they would want to take you and sell you. But, there's also the threat of our own people trying to take you away from us, like the female. She wanted you gone so she could get to Guan'Thwei" Dark finished and I looked away from her and down at my hands 

"I...I didn't know. I'm glad you did that...if you didn't. Well, I wouldn't be here" I mumbled and I looked up when Dark said my name softly, well, as softly as she could. 

"It is for your safety, Jane. I love you like you're my own daughter. Maki loves you like a sister and Guan'Thwei, well, he loves you as his mate. We don't want you getting hurt. That's why we need to train you more, you have to become stronger, so you can protect yourself if we're not around" I nodded my head, blinking my eyes a few times to stop the tears from falling and I smiled.

"I...I understand and I will become stronger. You're my family, I don't want to be gone from this world just yet." 

*************************

After that day, Nightblood wouldn't let me leave his sight. He had told me that he was waiting for me in our usual spot, he waited for twenty minutes and he had gotten worried because I would usually be there in under ten minutes. That's when one of his sisters came running and told him what had happened. Nightblood had said he blacked out and when he had come to, he was in the jungle. He was so angry and worried he didn't remember ever running into the jungle or even how he got that far out so fast. 

Now, I was in his room, laying on his bed with the male at his desk looking over some designs for weapons on the holo-pad. I laid on my side facing him, feeling sleepy. It was nice to be in near him, but he was always watching me if he couldn't, Maki, Dark or any of the siblings I had become close with was watching me in some way. I was always training though, I wanted to get stronger as well as find out where the hell the surprising strength came from. I yawned and stretched out and rolled onto my back then I rolled onto my other side, my back facing Nightblood and I fell asleep in a few minutes.