I Don't Ever Wanna Lose My Best Friend

*a few weeks later*

Sam's POV:

I come home from a particularly hard day at school to find almost everyone home. Maybe I can go visit Vic today. Alex and Jaime usually take me to go see him most days after school. Sometimes Mike takes me, but he's usually always at the hospital anyway so I almost always see him.
I walk into the kitchen and living room area, walking past everyone so that I can go to my room, only briefly scanning the faces on the couch.
"Hey Hime-Time, hey Alex, hey Vic..." I trail off before stopping at the entranceway to the hall. Something's not quite right about this picture. Vic.
"Vic!" I exclaim, dropping my bag and turning around, running over to him. He grins as he engulfs me in a hug, standing up wobbly so that he can give me a hug. He's still got a plaster cast on his arm and his foot is in a moonboot but he still gives me a hug.
"Hey darling, surprised?" he whispers and I nod, exhaling the pressure of the day. A few tears stream down my face as Vic holds me tight against him. I know that he broke some ribs and his hip along with his arm and leg so I hold onto him gently. I quietly cry and Vic rubs gentle circles onto my back.
"What's wrong baby girl?" he asks, concerned and I let out a strangled sob.
"Vic, it was so hard today," I breathe, tears straining my voice. It is so good to have him home, even if he is in a wheelchair for a few weeks.
"Do you wanna talk about it?" he whispers and I nod.
"I had a maths test today, and it was on algebra and I didn't understand it. Then Señora Rosa yelled at me for not learning the vocab and I'm sorry. I'm sorry I'm such a disappointment," I breathe, sobbing into Vic.
"Hey, hey, hey, look at me," he says and takes my face in his hands.
"You are not a disappointment and you never will be okay? You are not a disappointment," he says and I nod, biting my lip.
"Jaime can help you with your vocab, easy. Señora Rosa doesn't know what's been going on lately alright? Don't take it personally," he says. I nod, exhaling, a few fresh tears falling from my eyes.
"Oh baby girl, life isn't treating you well at the moment is it?" he whispers sadly as he strokes my cheek. I shake my head and he sighs.
"Hey Jaime," he calls over my shoulder.
"Yeah?"
"Did the doc say anything about going to the movies?" he asks and Jaime's silent for a moment as he thinks.
"No, I don't think he did," he says and Vic grins, turning back to me.
"Alright baby girl, you and me are going on a date."

Vic takes me out to the movies. I have to drive and push him because of his wheelchair but I don't mind. A few weeks ago, I wouldn't have thought that I would've been able to do anything with Vic full-stop. We watch the new Marvel movie and discuss it in detail over pizza. It's nice spending time with Vic outside the hospital walls. Almost like normal. He watches me with that little content smile of his and I know that he's happy.

I get called to the principal's office the next day. He tells me that he needs to speak to my parent or legal guardian. I give him Mike's phone number, partially because he will bail me out of anything really.
I just sit on one of the chairs outside until Mike arrives. He flashes me a grin and then walks into the office. I smile. He's done this many a time before.

Mike's POV:

My phone rings. The school.
"Hello Mr Fuentes, we need you to come down to talk about Sam," they say. I tell them I'll be right there, then hang up.
I see Sam waiting outside the principal's office when I arrive. It's not an unfamiliar sight, I usually get called to bail her out of stuff. I don't mind. We both don't tell Vic or the others unless it's serious. Sometimes Jack gets called, if I'm busy. It's our little secret between the three of us. Usually it's pretty stupid stuff, like she missed a due date for an assignment, skipping class (usually because she was in the bathroom crying) and the "she's too quiet in class!" sort of thing. I walk in and sit down. The principal smiles
at me when I sit down, a bit unnerved by all the tattoos. I just smile and he shuffles his papers together before setting them down on his desk.
"What's seems to be the problem sir?" I ask and he clears his throat.
"Sam has been missing a lot of school lately and her grades are slipping because of it," he says. Both sentences I already know.
"Well sir, you'll have to forgive her for that. Her best friend died recently and she's still trying to get over that as well as cope with the fact that my brother and also her oldest friend, like a brother to her, got in a very serious accident a few weeks ago," I say and he clears his throat.
"Um yes well, her grades have slipped and if we don't see drastic improvement in the next week topic tests then we will have to think about summer school," he says. I almost strangle him. Poor Sam has enough on her plate already without having to do stupid summer school.
"Okay. What grades are we talking about here? Like, to make sure she doesn't go to summer school?" I ask.
"If she doesn't get a B average then she'll be going to summer school," he says. I sigh.
"Okay. She'll be getting those B's," I warn, standing up and he smiles.
"Good to hear Mr Fuentes."