Chapter 2

She didn't wake up until the night. It scared Elijah to the ends. Her lips started to get a rose color and her breathing got more even, but still no evidence of consciousness or that she would wake up soon.

When darkness came, Elijah had no clue what to do with her. His father was already angry with him because she took nearly all of the blankets they with them. Mikael's older son had only taken his and Niklaus' fur so their father couldn't tell the boys to give him his back and complain about the girl already interfering in an enjoyable hunt. Luckily the brothers sticked together and were determined to save her. 

"You should warm her tonight, brother. It'll help getting her temperature up." 

Klaus cheeks flushed on his serious face which made Elijah smile. He was still so innocent concerning women, which his brother considered honorable. Elijah was happy that he himself and his siblings hadn't lost their respect concerning women like Mikael. 

"I don't want to invade her privacy, Niklaus. The fur keeps her warm enough." 

His fingers couldn't help but touch her silver hair. Never before had he seen it on a younger woman. Usually only elders grew white hair.

"I think her survival is far more important than her privacy. You know what mother always told us. Body warmth, staying close together while sleeping when we get lost outside, is the best." 

Of course Elijah knew. His mother taught them things like that since they were children. Survival was hard in their times and knowing such things was essential to live long enough to start an own family. To fulfill their duty towards the clans. 

"And how do you want to stay warm?" 

Niklaus smiled at his brother and sat himself in front of the fire. They started to whisper to no disturb their father. 

"I'll just stay close to the fire. We can swap places in the night, I'll wake you." 

The older brother nodded and placed himself next to the girl and wrapped his arms around her coated body. He covered himself in some of the leftover blankets. His chin on top of her soft hair, he closed his eyes and breathed in her scent. Even though she smelled like blood and dirt there was still something sweet about her scent. It changed, some hours ago, when he carried her, she smelled like death. 

Elijah really hoped she would survive. Her body felt warmer now and lit his hope. He prayed to the gods that they would save this girl. Whoever she was, a live was always worth being saved, especially when it was a helpless, injured woman. 

But who would hurt a woman in the first place? Even though he had fought in battle, Elijah couldn't think of any reason to hurt females. They usually weren't involved in battle. He also could never understand why warriors raped and killed the women of the conquered village. How brutal and lavish. Most of them could be integrated to be good clans members. But no one would listen to a young warrior like he was. 

His last glance was at his brother before he feel asleep. Klaus stared at them with a slight smile on his face. It felt good to do this together with him, something against their fathers will. This was the brother's little rebellion and at the same time, they would save a life. It was a calming thought to sleep quietly. 

...

Both brothers didn't get enough sleep that night. Elijah stood close to the girl while he was watching the fire, checking her temperature then and now. He knew that Klaus would be uncomfortable to sleep that close to her, so Elijah gave his brother a spare fur blanket so he would a little bit warmer. 

His mind raced about simple questions and thoughts. But the most prominent was what they would do with her. He needed to bring her home, to his mother so she could help the girl coming back to full health. There was still the possibility that she would never wake up though. Elijah tried to not think about it yet.