Chapter 10

It was the night of the full moon. Before the festivities began, the people whispered about the werewolves. The natives, their neighbors, would turn into these creatures tonight.

Hela heard about it for the first time in her life. There were tales about those monsters when she was with the amazons, but none of them saw one. They lived to deeply into the woods to be affected by it.

Curiosity rose inside her. The strange urge to see one of them confused Hela. Maybe it was the thrill of survival. The threat that there was something out there that could kill her, despite her excellent combat skill.

But first the feast would be held. Klaus told her that they would hide in the caves before the moon hit its apex. Hiding was not Hela's style, but from the tellings of the family, the wolves were dangerous and frightening creatures. 

Hela borrowed one of Rebekah's 'good dresses'. They days before every villager had been preparing masks that belonged to a Vikings' tradition. They would scare away the demons that haunted the brave warriors. Hela saw sense in that as she saw many people that couldn't live with the thought of having killed someone. A battle was pure slaughter, so it connected accurately. It probably weren't demons that made the warrior's life hard, it was themselves that felt guilt. 

Would Hela feel guilt when killing someone? She would try and let as many live as possible but sometimes, in a life-to-death situation, of course she would kill. But her general agenda was to keep her blade clean of dead man's blood, except for the life essence of her father. Still, this goal was far away from her reach, as she needed her original sword back before. 

When Rebekah and her arrived in the place were all festivities were held, a lot of people were already dancing around the huge fire. Hela's eyes scanned for Elijah in the crowd. She wanted to enjoy the carefree evening with him and he also wanted to introduce her to the other warriors, so they would get to know her and hopefully would drop any prejudices. 

But she couldn't find her lover, so she just shrugged and joined the crowd. She pulled down one of the masks that she and the whole family prepared days ago and started to dance with the other girls. 

They all seemed so cheery and happy, but Hela couldn't find her way into the joyful mood. Her mind was already preparing for battle and her heart was strangely worried about Elijah. Would they be the same after the battle? He would probably see her kill, so he couldn't root for the untouchable innocence he saw in her anymore. But for Elijah she wanted to be innocent, even if it was a lie. Because that was the woman he adored, not the reckless warrior. She eventually had to spill the beans that her hidden agenda was to kill her her father, his clan's king. He would sent her to hell, she was sure of it. 

Her lips were a tight line, but she tried her best to distract herself by dancing around the fire. Silver hair seemed to fly around her body in all directions the braided in feathers shimmered in the dim lighting the fire gave. Hela felt stares on her and for the first time it annoyed her. She wanted the men to know that she was spoken for. Actually, she wanted to punch those smug looks from their faces. 

But suddenly she felt one gaze on her that was special. She felt a tension that was delicate and a warmth spread through her body when she noticed Elijah staring at her. The anger was washed away and she turned around and met his beautiful, warm eyes. 

He looked troubled, like he was deep in thought, but when Hela pulled her mask up, as loving smile spread on his face. She was about to walk towards him when she was suddenly grabbed from behind. 

Klaus hands were on her waist before he turned her around. His lips were on hers before she could even think of a reaction. Hela's eyes widened in shock. When the surprise finally went out of her body, she pushed the blonde man back roughly. He fell backwards and landed on his but and Hela was tempted to place a few hits on him, but then she remembered that this was her friend. Even if he was foolish right now, he already went through enough abuse.