Chapter 4

The whole Mikaelson family was gathered outside, standing around Elijah and Mikael who spoke, no actually fought, over whether Hela should stay here or not. Of course Mikael wouldn't give in that easily, Hela had already assumed that. She had already met people like him, female versions of course. He didn't want another damsel in distress he had to take care of. It triggered Hela's temper, she could take care of herself...but not now. She needed a place to stay.

"I will not listen to any of this, son. We don't need another women in this household."

Luckily Rebekah's disappointed expression lit up her mood. The women had grown to like each other, which was very fortunate, even though Hela knew that for Rebekah she was more of a puppet to play with. The girl really lacked a sister.

"Father, she's homeless. She will die out there!"

Hela felt more and more humiliated by the second. Her pride was crushed with every word they exchanged. She was raised to rather die than rely on help. But she didn't want to die. Her pride was something she couldn't afford.

"What do I care! Give her fur and some meat and sent her away, that would be more than generous."

Elijah's teeth clenched and he wanted nothing more than to hit his father right across the face. It made him feel weak that he even had to ask. He was a grown man, not a boy anymore.

"You raised me to be noble, to be a good man, father. And sending a woman in need away is cruel!"

Now Hela had enough. She needed to speak for herself. Elijah wasn't her husband, nor responsible for her. Hela stepped in between the men, her back facing Elijah and staring Mikael directly into the eyes. They all gasped, usually no one women had the audacity to be this bold towards Mikael.

"I'm very thankful that your family saved my life. But still, you talking about me like I am some useless...cunt, disrespects my pride. Mikael, I have two healthy hands, I can work, I can be useful. Just tell me what you want me to do and I'll prove to you that I'm willing to work for my food. If I prove unworthy of your trust, I will go away."

They stared each other in the eyes, everyone around them confused that Mikael hadn't already slapped her across her pretty face. But maybe something in her fascinated him, the fact that she wasn't afraid of him. She didn't know better. In her life, men had been worth nothing to her, so it was taking a lot of her to subordinate.

The silence grew more uncomfortable by the second, but neither Hela nor Mikael were willing to loose. In the end it was Mikael who sighed and gave up. For the first time in his life.

"You will do everything me or my wife say. You won't make any trouble or I will show you the way out myself...and I really hope you don't prove to be rightfully named after the goddess of death."

Another gasp went through the rows. How could a girl, a stranger, convince Mikael to be part of his family. There really was something special about this girl. She had something on her that put people under her spell.

Hela nodded Mikael a thank you, before she turned and met the hostile eyes of Esther. But she didn't let herself be intimidated. She ignored the older women and turned to face Elijah who looked at her in surprise and fascination. Hela gave him a small smile before she walked away, not sure where to go, but she had to move. Those days laying in the bed had made her restless.

Elijah followed on her heel. He jogged shortly to walk beside her.

"That was impressive. Never before someone dared to talk to him like that."

She smiled and slowed her pace so she could look around. The village seemed peaceful. People were working, or resting. Children played while their parents tried everything in their power to keep them alive. What a devastating circle.