Part 10

A few minutes before six the doorbell rang and Scott and Isaac arrived. Stiles stood in the kitchen preparing everything, the sheriff was upstairs getting ready and so it was Derek's responsibility to open the door. "Hey", his two betas smiled at him but he looked at them with a straight face (*cough* the only straight thing about him *cough*). "Shit, that's his 'you did something wrong face'", Isaac told Scott. "Why is he wearing it?", Scott asked Isaac. "Maybe because you did something wrong?", Stiles chimed in while entering the room and getting towards the door. "Derek let them in, you can death glare them from inside here", he said and lay a hand on Derek's shoulder. Derek relaxed under the touch and Stiles felt it, although he didn't believe it was his gesture that had this effect on him. Derek got out of the way and let the two betas in. Scott hugged Stiles and entered the living room. Isaac just smiled at him, still not used to this friendship and Stiles got that and smiled back. "Derek, you don't need to look at them like that. I am used to Scott inviting himself over for dinner. It's okay", Stiles told Derek and pulled his hand away. "No, it's not. They should be thankful", Derek whispered back so the other two couldn't hear them. Meanwhile Scott talked to the sheriff who just came down the stairs. "It's nice that you say that. But not everyone is such a perfect guest as you are", Stiles replied and immediatly wanted to punch himself. Had he just said that? Out loud? Perfect guest? Why was he so dumb? Okay try to breathe, act naturally, he thought to himself. "Well, it's easy to be a perfect guest when you have perfect hosts", Derek replied and Stiles looked him in the eyes. Derek smiled at him and soon there was a smile on Stiles' face as well. Their staring was interrupted by his alarm going off, telling him the lasagna was ready. "Alright, Scott, Isaac get your asses in the kitchen and get the table ready. Dishes are already out", he screamed over at his friends and they followed him into the kitchen. "He really is pack mom, isn't he?", the sheriff asked laughing when Derek arrived at his side. "Maybe a little", Derek said smiling, thinking that this might make them belong together in some way. The sheriff smiled at him and they both sat down at the table, while the smell of lasagna filled the whole house.
After dinner and pie, which Scott and Isaac ate three quarters of, everyone was full and content. "Are you boys gonna stay?", the sheriff asked. "No, I am gonna meet up with Allison later", Scott replied. "And I will just try to get some sleep while he's gone. Scott here snores terribly", Isaac told them and everyone laughed a little. "Tell me about it", Stiles sassed and Scott rolled his eyes. "I remember one night Melissa had to drive you home at night because you could get no sleep at Scott's", the sheriff said to Stiles who nodded. "I will try to get to sleep early too", Stiles said and Derek knew that he has had much too less sleep because of his nightmares. "Should I take you guys with me and drop you off?", the sheriff asked and the boys nodded thankfully. They all helped washing the dishes, so they were ready in no time at all. "You are quite a good cook", Isaac just stated and Stiles took it as a way of him saying thank you. "Thanks for dinner, man", Scott said and hugged him again before saying his goodbye to Derek and heading to the sheriff's car. "See you tomorrow", the sheriff said to the two of them and left. They waved him goodbye and then just stood there awkwardly, not knowing what to do. "Do you wanna play another round of Mario Kart?", Stiles asked eventually. "I thought you would never ask", Derek said and the awkward tension disappeared. They played a lot of races and again Stiles won most of them. But Derek got better. "Eleven already", Stiles said when he checked the time. "I think I am gonna head to bed", he announced. Derek nodded and they both headed upstairs. "Do you think you can sleep?", Derek asked Stiles a little concerned. "I will try", he replied truthfully and looked a little sad. "Good night", Derek said and headed to his room. "Night", Stiles said.
It was one o'clock in the night when Derek was awoken by piercing screams. He sat up in bed and tried to get orientation. Stiles, his mind told him and he got up hastily. He ran to Stiles' room and opened the door. Stiles lay in his bed. Sweating, crying, kicking and punching the air around him while still sleeping. Derek rushed over to him and tried to shake him awake, while trying not to get kicked or punched. "Stiles! Wake up! It's just a dream. Only a bad dream. Wake up! Please!", he screamed and shook him, not able to see Stiles in pain for much longer. He saw Stiles' eyes open but only more tears started to stream down his face. His breath was uneven and Derek didn't know what to do. He sat down on the bed and put Stiles between his legs so that his back rested against Derek's chest. Then he took Stiles' hands in his own and crossed their arms over Stiles' chest and started rocking his body slightly. "Shhh...calm down", he whispered in his ear, resting his chin on Stiles' shoulder "it was just a dream". He noticed Stiles relaxing a little into his chest. His heartbeat was getting back to normal and his breathing started to slow down to a normal rate. "Thank you", Stiles whispered, voice broken "I-I...I was dead and I saw the Nimeton but I couldn't get back. And I...I was alone and I couldn't do anything to save my dad and...", his heart sped up again. "Shhh....", Derek tried to calm him down again "your dad is alright. You are alive. And you are not alone. I am here. I can stay if you want." "Really?", Stiles asked hopeful. "Really", Derek confirmed and smiled a little. Stiles let his head fall back against Derek's shoulder and mumbled another "thank you" before falling back asleep. Derek let go of Stiles' hands and pulled the blanket over them. Stiles stirred in his sleep so that his chest was against Derek's chest and he could hug his arms around Derek's middle. Derek put his arms around Stiles and pulled him even closer to his chest. Stiles' head rested in the crook of Derek's neck and Derek gently lay his head on top of Stiles' and soon fell asleep too. Although Stiles' weight lay against him, he hadn't had such a good sleep in a long time. And Stiles didn't have another nightmare that night.