Realisation.

It has been a week and almost nothing has been said between the two, they have been avoiding each other since the duel. Hermione didn't know that Draco was fully aware that she was next to him that day, he knew what he was doing when he reached for her knee. He knew she sniffled back a few tears when she touched the now scar on his arm. He knew that she didn't even flinch when he touched her, and he knew that she didn't want him to know, so he hid it.

He comes down the stairs to the kitchen,  Hermione is already down but still in her PJ's holding a mug of hot chocolate. She sees him come down in yet another clean shirt doing up a couple of buttons but leaving the two at the top. She goes to say good morning but it comes out in a silent and open mouth, so she keeps it shut. He looks at her trying to stay firm but desperately trying to get a reaction, a look or a smile but he is disappointed as she stares into her cup. He picks up an apple and takes a bite. Usually he will only go for green, but this time he chooses one of the redder looking ones. Hermione, who has looked up from her mug, seems surprised at his choice but chooses not to mention it. He catches her expression.

"The red ones are sweeter than I thought they would be." he says after taking a bite.

"I've never tried any other type." she replies.

"The green ones, help with negative feelings. I don't think I can say the same for these." he notes after leaving the room and coming down minutes later properly dressed for lessons. Hermione isn't there but comes from behind him also dressed now. She leaves the common room swiftly and without a word. He takes a deep breath and sighs a massive sigh of relief.

"What is wrong with me?!" he paces the room.

"I've become weak. Why did I touch her? Why did I let her reveal my past? She's hardly talked to me since." he runs his hand through his hair, walks to the door and leaves.

At the end of the day. He comes back and walks into Ginny and Hermione chatting, its nice to see her happy but he keeps a straight face. He knows that they are coming to the end of their visit, so he goes to his room. He looks around and finds the piece of parchment he is looking for. he opens up the folded page and smiles at it. The drawing is of Hermione, standing there in the room of requirement in nothing but her costume and a massively oversized jumper. He enchanted it so it moves only slightly, that smile slowly creeping up onto her face as it did before the duel.

"If I don't do it now, I never will." he sighs and folds the parchment and keeps it in his left hand, he walks down the stairs but stops when he is almost at the bottom noticing the hushed voices.

"Hermione, are you- do you like him?"

"No! of course not, but I hate this silence. It's so awkward, I think I prefer the arguing."

"Well if I were you I would ask to move back if I hated someone as much as you hate that ferret." Draco winces when Ginny says this.

"I can't, look Ginny. He isn't as strong as you think he is. He doesn't want to be what he is."

"What do you mean?" Hermione doesn't want to tell her and opens her mouth to tell her that she needs to study but before she can Draco storms down.

"She means that you need to get out now before I hex you." he doesn't shout but he is incredibly angry. In shock she looks at Hermione who is glaring at him. Hermione almost doesn't notice the parchment in his hand.

"Yes Ginny, I think you should go." Ginny looks angry at first but they both look at her and she knows that she isn't wanted. So she leaves.

"I thought you were better than that." He spits.

"I w-" she is cut off

"I Let you find out, I could have flinched or shouted but I let you. I revealed my secrets and you pay me back with this. you evil dirty MOODBLOOD!" he flinches himself when he says it and she doesn't even take in what he said before it, she is so full of rage now, he is only about three feet away from her. She lurches forward and grabs his tie, yanking him close, he drops the parchment in his hand from the shock, his face is only centimetres away from hers, the force is so strong that the sofa moves from behind her when he grabs it to stop himself from colliding with her. He isn't scared of what she will do, he is scared about what she will say. Quicker than she can think a thought flashes over her, kiss him, Hermione he is close enough. She is shocked by the thought and shoves it aside and her eyes fill with rage again.

"You DARE to call me that name! You, you are nothing more than what that Filthy mark says you are. Just like your father." They both know that she went too far. She lets go in shock of herself, and his eyes are filled to the brim and glazed with realisation. That's all she sees me as.

"Draco I-I-"

"No You've said it now" His voice breaks slightly as he says it, he could cry on the spot but he holds it back. He walks slowly to his room, leaving the parchment on the floor where he dropped it forgetting it was even there. Hermione looks dazed as if she has nothing inside her. She had nothing inside her. That was the meanest she has ever been to anyone, and probably ever will be.

Draco slams the door and puts a silencing charm on his room. He screams as he almost rips his hair out. Is he just a monster? Is he seen as a death eater to the whole school? did she even mean what she said? he chucks almost every moveable thing in his room and sits in the middle of the floor crying, it isn't a normal cry, it is loud and agonizing. The pain he feels is so unfamiliar he doesn't know how to cope.

Meanwhile in the lounge Hermione glazing over comes to a sudden jolt and notices the parchment on the floor. She wants to look but feels like it would be wrong to. She goes to his door and slips the un-opened parchment underneath.

"You left this." she says. He goes to tell her he doesn't want it but realises he can't. he flicks his wand and it shoots back the way it came, writing appears on the top.

Hermione, before I loose the strength I just want you to know that...

She goes to her room and slowly opens it, a moving drawing of her with wet hair and bare skin. At the bottom it says

you're perfect

nothing more and nothing less

she can't help but collapse on the floor and burst into tears. She can't help it, she didn't know she cared so much. There was something that she was now certain of. She had just gave him a pain worse than death.

Heartbreak.