Chapter Four | Making Friends

Miranda could feel the weakening strength in Braydon's arms as he insisted on carrying her. The longer they walked, the more she begged him to put her down.

"I promise I won't run away again, please just let me walk!" Miranda kept wiggling in his arms, making it even hard for him to keep his grip on her.

Reluctantly he put her down, refusing to acknowledge how thankful his body was for it. "Fine!"

He didn't stop, rolling his shoulders slightly to ease the tension in them. If anything he picked up his pace and Miranda followed obediently. Maybe if she could get him to trust her, then maybe he would be more willing to let her go.

"So ah, what did you think of the Dark Knight Batman franchise? I thought Christian Bale did a great job at playing him!" She huffed, already out breath as they kept on their upward journey.

"What?" Braydon asked as he tried to act disinterested, but failed miserably. Miranda only smiled, knowing she had found her way in and tried to remember everything she knew about the trilogy.

"You know, the movies they've been doing? Everyone says they were the best ever and I have to agree."

"No I don't know what you're talking about." Braydon thought back to the last movie he had seen, Poison Ivy came to mind and for Miranda to tell him about others had him interested. "What happened?"

"How about, we play a game?" She asked coyly.

It was just like baby-sitting her friends little girl, Emma. Usually this was only done when bedtime looked like it wasn't going to be happening easily or if all the toys had to be put away. Miranda considered it playing dirty, but extreme measures caused for extreme actions.

"A game?" It was obvious Braydon was already hooked, so Miranda only smiled a little brighter.

"Yes. I will tell you something, if you say something in return!" He stopped walking, looking at her suspiciously. "For example, I might tell you it was based around the beginning of Batman, from earlier comic books hence why they call it Batman Begins. Then I might ask, if you've been out here for a while, how come your beard isn't longer?"

Instantly Braydon touched his beard that hadn't quite made it the full way down his neck yet. "I cut it. With the knife."

Miranda nodded, that made sense. "Do you have a question you want to ask me?"

"Tell me what happens. All of it." He demanded, and kept walking.

Somehow Miranda managed to make up most of the first film. If her Dad hadn't loved them so much, this idea would have backfired and while some parts may have been made up and from other movies, she got by.

"Ok, so how long have you been out here?"

Braydon hesitated, he wasn't entirely sure. He had been nearly fourteen at the time; he remembered his thirteenth birthday because he had shifted for the first time. It normally happened on shifters sixteenth birthday and he knew this abnormality was why the pack had been so eager to chase him out. Just thinking about it had his chest rumbling and with a gasp Miranda reached out for his arm, not realizing the sound had come from him, again.

"Did you hear that?" She asked, the hold she had on him tight enough to distract him from his thoughts.

"Hear what?"

"That growl sound?"

Looking down at her, he frowned and shook his head. "It's nothing. Two thousand and four."

"Two thousand and four what?" Miranda repeated confused, looking around fearfully she didn't let his arm go as he kept walking.

"That I came out here."