Chapter Twelve | Fun Times

Sunday night had Braydon and Miranda in front of the TV watching Superman. Against Braydon’s better judgment, he had agreed to leave the apartment. His main fear was running into other shifters, but they made it the whole day without seeing one.  Miranda didn’t know how he hadn’t gone crazy being cooped up inside for so long and wondered if getting him the games was a good idea. Rory was going to be starting back at work full time tomorrow, which would take away his gaming friend and since she had arranged with Jason to start back part time after next week, Miranda wanted Braydon to be able to go out and be part of society.

She had no idea what Braydon was going to do while she was at work though, and sitting in front of the TV shooting imaginary people or aliens to save the world all day wasn’t going to be an option for him.  While Miranda’s mother would be more than happy to baby-sit him, Miranda didn’t want that either. Part of Braydon coming back to reality with her was so he could move on and start his new life.  The trip around town and lunch in the park was to start getting him used to being back in civilization and for the most part he did well.

Braydon had only a handful of freak out moments, and just like how he had helped Miranda on the plane, she was able to help him through it with a few stop and breathe directions. Problem with that all was, now he had some fresh air and conquered his first fear of the unknown; he was itching to go out again. There were no telltale shifter scents in the air, so maybe they didn’t like living in the inner city. His own home had been in the country, not quite rural, but with plenty of room around them. The animal part of him was missing the wild, the freedom, but with his mind being reminded of how to be human, Braydon was adapting well.

Instead  of staying out, they reheated one of the many meals Helen had left for them and settled on the lounge. The best part of the day was it had just been the pair of them. Jason would be out of town for the next few days for a family event and a business meeting while he was there and Miranda’s father had a talk with Helen about giving them some space. As a compromise, Miranda promised to visit them the following weekend.

“I just don’t get it. If he is all Superman, why aren’t the people from his planet the same?” Miranda asked her millionth question about the movie, making Braydon roll his eyes and throw some of the popcorn that sat between them at her. “What?”

Considering she had seen the movie before, Braydon was left explaining the majority of it to her. Some things you don’t forget and a childhood full of comic books was apparently one of them.

“Just watch the movie!” He groaned, tempted to rewind the part he just missed.

“Sorry!” She mumbled sarcastically, throwing a piece back at him. Sure he was acting annoyed, but deep down he loved this time alone with her.

Discreetly looking at Miranda out of the corner of his eye, Braydon’s smile only grew. She sat with a handful of popcorn being loaded into her mouth non-stop and her face was frowning in concentration.  Seconds later she practically threw what was left in her hand over the coffee table in front of them as she pointed to the screen.

“Now what’s happening? I thought his Dad was dead, but then he was there in that ship and now this?” She yelled rather dramatically.

“I thought you said you have watched this before?” Braydon teased, deciding to watch it later when she wasn’t around.

“I lied, I saw bits of it. It didn’t interest me so I never paid attention and played Angry Birds on my phone instead.” Miranda admitted guiltily.

“So everything you told me about Batman was a lie too?” Faking his astonishment, Miranda saw through the act and grinned sheepishly.

“You’d probably wanna watch them in the order they come in that box set. I may have also included some of Spiderman in my retelling!”