22 | aftermath

01/10/2016

chapter twenty-two ;
AFTERMATH

"I'M NOT REALLY sure what I did," I sighed in defeat, pressing a hand against my forehead. "He hasn't spoken two words to me since the day of the funeral. He's been skipping classes, and I feel like he's doing it to get away from me. It's like he hates me now, and he's just too nice to admit it."

 "I don't think it's anything you did." Miracle's voice was smooth, her face soft, even from the screen of my phone. "I guess people just deal with death differently."

 "Yeah, but sometimes – well, I guess this is a selfish thing to think – but I just feel like it shouldn't have hurt his feelings for me. I mean, I thought he loved me, and when you love someone, wouldn't it be hard to just stop talking to them altogether?"

 Miracle's brows furrowed. "Well, does he talk to anyone else?"

 "Mm . . . not that I see. Then again, I hardly ever see him."

 "Well," Miracle sighed, "it sucks, but maybe you just have to let him cope. It's not going to last. I don't listen to the story of your every encounter just to tell you to dump him. Under other circumstances, I'd probably say that he was cheating or something, but . . . I mean, the guy's mom just died."

 "Exactly. And I know, it's just hard not to feel like it has something to do with me, because I don't understand it. And it just seems stupid to leave him alone, 'cause what if he's trying to hurt himself?"

 Miracle shrugged. "I don't know. After all you've told me about him, he doesn't seem like the kind of person who would resort to that."

 Despite the serious subject, my brows rose in surprised approval. "You sound so wise."

 "Lots of things happen while you're gone," Miracle grinned. "You know about them all, though, but still."

 Suddenly a smile curved on my mouth, and I injected myself with as much enthusiasm as possible. "I can't believe you're fifteen now! And you know what that means?"

 "You have ten days until you're fifteen," Miracle grinned. "My late twin."

 The smile on my face was warm. Miracle had always been my best friend, since kindergarten. Before Leon died, the three of us had been inseparable, a golden trio. But Miracle and I had always viewed each other as sisters, despite our differences. For example, before California, I had been as pale as a ghost, but Miracle had light chocolate skin. Really, we shared no aspects, but forever she would be my sister – my twin, even.

 "I wish I could spend it with you," I sighed. "Today, I mean – your birthday, and then my birthday. But I doubt I have enough money to fly or drive down there."

 "Oh!" Miracle's suddenness caused me to flinch. "I forgot to tell you – but I have an uncle in California, and I'm supposed to be visiting him. He lives in Visalia. Not sure how far away he is from Los Angeles, but if I go, I'm definitely coming to visit you. And I can meet all of your new friends."

 True joy had been an alien lately, utterly unreachable, but now my heart swelled with the stuff. My mouth stretched wide, and I stared at the girl in the screen in disbelief. "No!"