24 | sympathy

01/20/2016

chapter twenty-four ;
SYMPATHY

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

 Breaking me out of a deep sleep, something heavy fell over my back. Then something sharp dug in between my shoulder blades. At first I thought I'd been stabbed – but then he laughed.

 "Luke," I grumbled, "get off me."

 "Never."

 I didn't have the strength to wriggle beneath him. Despite the sleep I had gotten, the exhaustion had not yet left. Rather, I lay still, allowing Luke to crush me. Part of me wished that he would.

 Luke scoffed. "Why aren't you awake yet? You're fifteen now! Be happy about it!"

 "I survived another year on this planet," I mumbled. "Not that great of an achievement. Everyone's done it."

 "Okay, enough with the depressing stuff," Luke said, finally rolling off of me. "Today is your day to be happy, even if it's only a little bit. I'm going to make sure of that."

 Finally, I turned my head to look at my brother. He was prepared for the day ahead, actually fully dressed for once, hair swept to the side. Luke met my eyes with a soft smile.

 "How do you plan to do that?" I asked.

 "First of all," he said, sitting up, "we're skipping school. Mom and Dad don't know this, so don't tell them – They're waiting for you downstairs, by the way, 'cause they have to leave for work. So, go get ready – quickly – and come downstairs. Okay?"

 I sighed deeply. "Okay."

 With one last smile, Luke ruffled my hair, and left the room.

 My greatest desire was to close my eyes again, to escape to unconsciousness. But, because my family awaited me, I forced myself up.

 Quickly I brushed my teeth, threw my curly mess of hair into a bun, and dressed for comfort: jeans, a gray SAMCRO hoodie, and the brown leather boots from Lynn. I realized that I wore the boots more often than not. They made me feel somewhat closer to Lynn.

 After grabbing my phone, I realized that my texts had been blown up. How so many people remembered my birthday, I hadn't a clue. But I had friends from Tennessee and from California covering my screen.

 I decided to actually acknowledge all of the birthday wishes later. I trudged downstairs, dreading the day ahead. Probably I would be getting a lot more attention, and I would be expected to appear excited and happy.

 The better side of me hated myself. Hated Benny for putting me through this, for ruining every shred of happiness I'd possessed. It was unfair. Sure, Lynn died – we all felt that pain, but it didn't quite excuse the way he treated me.

 Lost in my thoughts, my mind took a moment to register the sight before me. Halfway down the stairs, I realized that my parents were not the only people standing in the living room, awaiting my arrival. In fact, the room was nearly full.

 Leah, Ivy, all of the Sandlot Boys – minus one – , Jordan, and Elizabeth. They all stood in place, eyes set on me, smiles on their mouths. Odd, I thought, how my friends were more excited about my birthday than I was.