Chapter 19

I throw the note to the ground and run to the downstairs closet. When I open it, I scream loudly. Max is sitting in it with multiple stab wounds on him. They were all in places where he wouldn't die instantly.

   Max groans and his fingers move. My breathing catches in my throat as I run to the phone. I find myself typing in 9-1-1 without even thinking. "911, what's your emergency?"

   "My husband is bleeding to death. I don't know how long he's been in the closet. I had a break in and my son is gone. " My voice is just above a whisper.

   "Okay, where do you live?" I tell her. "We're sending ambulances right away. "

   "Okay." I hang up and fall to the ground. Tears start pouring from my eyes. A few minutes later, someone opens the door. I look up and watch as a bunch of paramedics pick Max up from the closet. One of the men walks over to me.

   "Come on, get up." He lifts me and helps me out to one of the ambulances. He wraps a blanket around me. A man with dark black hair and bright blue eyes that seemed to shine walks over to us and shows the paramedic a badge. He walks over to me. From up close he looks only 30.

   "Hello Mrs. Wilson. I'm detective Taylor. What happened here?" His tone is rough but soft. I look up at him.

   "I came home after shopping and found the note from Jonathan. H-he took Xander." Tears start filling my eyes again. Why did this have to happen to me?

   It happened because you had to meet him. My mind reminds me.

   "Note?"

   "It's inside the house. I dropped it and ran to Max. You'll find it." The man turns around and walks away to some investigators. The police came quicker than I thought they would.

   "Mrs. Wilson?" I look up to see the detective. "Is this the note?" He holds up a bag with a piece if paper in it. It's the note Jonathan wrote me.

   "Yes." He reads it through the plastic. "What is he going to do with my baby?"

   "Since it's his child, probably not anything bad. He is mentally unstable, though so we need to find him as soon as possible." I nod and look at the ground. I felt really tired and dizzy. "Do you have any idea where he is?" I shake my head and close my eyes.

   "I'm tired. I think I'm going to go to sl-" Darkness swallows me and I fall asleep.

--

   Beep beep beep. Beep beep beep.

   I open my eyes. I'm in the hospital. I can tell by the smell of disinfectant and whiteness of everything. An IV is attached to my arm. A nurse walks in. When she sees I'm awake, she smiles warmly.

   "Hello Mrs. Wilson. I bet you're wondering why you're in here." I nod, not wanting to talk. "Well, you passed out due to stress. You're going to have to be in here for at least a week so we can keep an eye on you."

   The woman starts taking my vitals. "W-where is Max?" I feel like I haven't talked for a while. The nurse smiles at me again.

   "You called right in time. He's still recovering from the blood loss. We had to transfer blood into his body. He wasn't hit anywhere important so he'll recover lovely. We are trying to keep him asleep while he heals. " I nod and close my eyes. Images of Max's bloody body sitting in the closet flash past my mind every so often. My eyes shoot open and I look at the nurse with worry.