16 - Glimpses

"There has been much ssstrange activity, Master," Nagini hissed quietly from her perch on the back of Tom's chair.

"Strange?" Tom murmured back, eyes focused on his sleeping mate.

The snake also watched the small, pink figure cocooned on the bed. Her Master's chair was as close as she cared to get to the boy – there was something else in the room with them and that something hung on the wall above the boy, an invisible protector silently warning her away. She didn't know what it was and she had no desire to test its effectiveness.

"More people going in and out. Many were hooded and their pace hurried – not at all like the usssual visitors. Owl traffic has nearly tripled and..."

"And?"

"I have sssmelled the rat on him. Three times this month he has come within striking distance and all three times he sssmelled of the rat."

Nagini hissed in pleasure as her Master caressed her head. It had been nearly seven months since she'd been in his presence, nearly seven months since she'd been sent to watch that idiot Fudge's estate.

"You have done well my friend, thank you."

"Anything, my Master."

"Nagini..."

"Yes, Master?"

"Harry and Lucius are my mates now."

"I know. I can sssmell you on them and them on you."

"Harry carries my young within him."

"Truly?"

"Truly."

"That isss good Master. I worried you would never breed."

The brunette chucked at that.

"You are very different now, Master."

"Oh?"

"I like it."

He stroked her head again, "I am glad to hear that. When Harry wakes I will introduce you to him properly. Of course you already knew he could Speak to you, but now Lucius, Severus, Draco and a young girl named Hermione can too – they are all like me now."

"That isss good, it will be nice to have others to Speak with. Field snakes just do not understand what life is like with a Wizard."

Silence filled the room for a few moments.

"Will Harry's guardian allow him to Speak to me?"

"Guardian?"

"Yes. I cannot see it, but I feel it...sssitting above his head somewhere. It doesn't want me near the boy."

"Really?" Her Master sounded so surprised.

"Yes, Master."

"I will speak with Harry, my friend, and we shall see what can be done."

The cobra hissed a quiet assent.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Severus and Lucius sat in twin wingback chairs before a small fire in the Potion Master's main sitting room, each absorbed in the flickering flames and occasionally sipping from their brandy glasses.

Severus sighed, "If only I was the Drake." That had been his mantra for the past three months.

"Oh stop whining Severus, you are not suited to be a Drake and you know it. You hate being the center of attention, you like nothing more than futzing about at home and you guard your privacy more zealously then a goblin guards their gold," Lucius scolded.