17 - Plans

"Bed rest, Mister Potter, for the duration of your pregnancy – and no magic."

Tom wasn't overly surprised by Merriweather's proclamation and judging by Harry's face, neither was he. Lucius looked less than pleased but Tom thought that was mostly because the bed rest was an indication of just how badly injured their mate had been and how weak he still was.

On the bright side, Harry was still sleeping sixteen to eighteen hours a day so the confinement probably wouldn't wear on the formerly active boy too much... for awhile.

"But what about school? It's my Newt year... I can't graduate if I can't use magic."

"Not to worry, Luv, the baby should be here in late February. Lucius, Severus and I can tutor you in theory – Dumbledore will not have a problem coming up with some excuse for you absence from actual classes - and once the baby is here we will get you caught up on the practical side of things."

Merriweather cleared his throat, "Actually, from what my scans show, the development of the fetus is slower than normal. I didn't say anything at first because I wanted to be sure."

Tom's eyes met Lucius's and as one they looked down to their mate who, instead of a healthy pink, was now deathly pale, his hands curled protectively over his abdomen.

The Medi-Wizard held up his hands, "Now, now, Gentlemen, no need to get worked up just yet. The baby is developing in the correct stages, only slower. It is possible that it is a reaction to Mister Potter's injuries but most likely it has to do with your Draconian heritage; at least that is the theory Poppy and I are working with... I realize a theory is not the most comforting thing but with no written records on Draconian reproduction, that's all we have."

"When you combine the fact that the baby is healthy, is showing no signs of distress, and is developing with the fact that Dragons have the longest incubation period of any creature – magical or muggle – I believe we're just dealing with a longer than normal gestation."

Harry was regaining more and more of his color as the man gave his explanation.

"How long," the Gryffindor asked.

"I estimate a year from conception, so I'd plan for sometime in late April to early May."

Harry gasped. Lucius was looking a bit shell shocked and Tom... Tom was intrigued.

"No Newts then," his little mate said softly, making Tom smile. Trust Harry to focus on the mundane until he could cope with the rest.

"Don't worry, Luv," Lucius cooed, "just after Christmas we'll apply for a medical delay on the practical portion of the exam and you can still take the written with your classmates."

Harry looked up at the blonde quizzically, "They do that?"

"Of course, Luv. It is normally Quidditch players who need such allowances but I'm sure with Mister Merriweather here and Madam Pomphrey's help we'll have all the documentation we need."

"Absolutely Mister Malfoy, Poppy and I are keeping extensive records on Mister Potter's condition and progress. Hopefully it will help when Miss Granger decides to become a mother as well."

Tom smirked at the thought of Severus chasing a giggling toddler through the castle.

"But... won't your identities be a problem," Harry asked.

Tom noticed the Medi-Wizard's face go blank with interest. He knew Merriweather could not reveal their location or their identities to anyone – an Unbreakable Vow had seen to that – but his reactions were always interesting to watch. It was almost as if the man forgot he was in the presence of the Dark Lord and a notorious Death Eater, never mind the Boy-Who-Lived, until he was forcibly reminded of such.