Chapter 20

TOBIAS POV

I was spared.

By some luck or whatever strength I had left, I was able to overcome the dreaded EM virus. Out of all the patients that were admitted to the hospital, I have been the only one to attack the disease head-on and survive.

At first it made no sense. After accidentally drifting off to sleep, I woke up feeling weightless and normal, like nothing had ever happened, and like I was ready to take on the world. It could have all been a nightmare, except for the fact that I was still strapped down to the hospital bed in the quarantine.

The doctors made it clear that I was the only survivor thus far, that it was an unbelievable miracle that I was left standing. They ran tests and extracted blood so they could figure out what was so special about me.

And I figured it out soon enough: like the Enslavers back in Indiana said, I am not Divergent. I can resist simulations—and diseases—like a Divergent would, but I am not a true one. Therefore, Divergents are safe, like we initially suspected. I just had to fight it off.

Using this information, the Erudite conducted more research to figure out a way to combat the virus. Meanwhile, the general in our captivity refused to reveal any information about a cure—I was glad to hear that he got a finger or two cut off while the Dauntless were torturing him for information this time. Serves him right.

It turns out that we didn't need his help anyway. An antivirus was created thanks to the intelligence of the doctors and researchers. Because of this, a quarantine is no longer needed. So far it has prevented the virus from spreading, and it has saved hundreds of lives. Or really, tens of thousands of lives because if it was not contained, it would have decimated the city.

It was too late to save Lynn though. I'm grateful that I got to say goodbye.

All those other lives were wasted as well. It took a while for me to come up with an explanation for why the Enslavers would kill off the population they wanted to enslave, but soon it became clear: they wanted us to be dependent upon them. Eventually they wanted us to say that enough was enough, and then we would come crawling to them, begging for an antidote in exchange for our lives.

I never would have let that happen. If it came down to it, I would rather let Chicago die off than be subject to a lifetime of torment and slavery, without a moment of enjoyment or freedom.

As much as the doctors insisted on bedrest, I could not let my faction go into battle alone. That same day I was cleared was the day I was up and ordering my men to get me on a flight to west Illinois, where most of the Dauntless were stationed. The battle was easily won by a combination of our skilled soldiers and jets. Together we were able to drive back the Enslavers and send them into a retreat so pathetic that it makes me think that the war is close to ceasing.

But the fight is not over yet. Something is brewing, and it will change the course of history.

xXxXx

I wake before dawn the next morning feeling rejuvenated, yet exhausted from the night before.

The Dauntless army, including myself, returned from the victory late last night. As the faction typically would, they threw an impromptu celebration that was really an excuse to get drunk. I for one didn't drink because I have a city to lead at any given time, but I didn't miss out on much. If I would have drunk, I would be waking up with a splitting headache right now that would only get in the way of things.