Chapter One; The Offer

Chapter One

The Offer

THE high-pitched shrill tenor of a scream marked the beginning of a new day.

The sound traveled at the speed of roughly 344.4 meters per second and zipped up the cardboard-repaired stairs, penetrated right through the badly petrified wooden door of the second and uppermost floor, and pierced right through the eardrums of a barely sleeping figure.

Hands flew up to ears instantly, as a scruffy young man threw his feet over his untidy bead and winced in pain and pity for his eardrums.

"Shut up!" he yelled, throwing on a jacket and cap as he rubbed his darkly circled eyes that marked a lack of sleep.

The slow fading of the sound, as it progressed further on its journey was like a blissful euphoria as the boy breathed a sigh o relief and let his hands down from his ears.

"SLAM!" The door suddenly banged against the decaying wooden wall, causing a bunch of wood shavings to scatter across the floor, as the creaking hinges weakly swayed of to and fro, causing a very irritating screeching sound.

"YO KIERS, I NEED TO BORROW TWENTY BUCKS!"

"Go beg the slut we call 'mother'!" retorted Kiers, as he kicked the door back into the older male's face.

"KIERS! I NEED FIFTY!" screamed the same high, feminine voice that had acted as the nonexistant alarm clock this morning. Kiers scowled, rubbing his dark grayish eyes, making them look even more half-swollen than they already were.

"Shut up!" he yelled, pushing right past the older boy, and digging his on-hand switchblade into the poorly constructed balcony, staring right down at a bleach-blonde girl in a revealing outfit reading a teen magazine.

"GET A JOB!" he job he yelled at the girl, who looked scandalized upwards, but by then, Kiers was already gone.

"I can't take this much longer . . ." he muttered, to himself as he burst into the dilipidated excuse of a restroom in his house, grabbed his toothpaste and towel, and marched out angrily and exasperated.

"Hey man," said the boy from earlier, "I'm your bro, I just need twenty bucks hit Rowdy's with the guys!" The older male threw himself in front of the restroom doorway, barring his younger brother from going out till he turned in the money.

Immediately afterwards, the loud click-clack of cheap plastic heels up the tiny staircase was heard, as the bleach-blonde suddenly pushed aside the oldest boy, and glared at Kiers.

"I totally can't believe you Kiers, we're your family--"

Kiers sighed as he weakly stumbled purposely back into the cabinet in the bathroom, hands in front of his shaggy black hair, and rubbed temples while closing his eyes.

"I need more cigs," the girl said bluntly, standing legs apart, hands folded across her chest in an austere, expectant manner; she wrinkled her nose from the sheer mildew of the restroom. "And make it quick."

"What?" the oldest remarked, pushing aside the girl, as she stumbled a bit on her cherry red heels, but caught herself, and glared at the boy. The boy glared back.

"Kirsten, Koios . . ." Kiers suddenly intoned, as he glared at both of them, and stomped to the door.

"Out of my way."

Kiers suddenly leapt into action, as he grabbed his stuff and ran right down the stairs, threw his meak weight right between his brother and sister, sprinted into a mad race to the kitchen, leaving his shocked siblings calling after him.