Chapter 5

"Okay." I made my way to the dining hall when a piercing scream sounded through the air. A sudden noise that cut through the deep silence. I heard a crash and then the lights went out.

When you read suspense books or any books in general, they never continue where they left off. Quite annoying, isn't it? It makes you want to tear your hair off. Mystery novels sure know how to keep you on your toes, don't they? Well, this isn't one, so I'll continue right where I left off and save you the trouble of skimming through pages.

I just stood there for a few moments, stunned. It was such a high pitched, bloodcurdling scream of absolute terror. And trust me, I've heard those before, psychical or not. Finally, I shook myself out of my trance and turned to Lockwood, who was also frozen in place.

"What was that, Lockwood?" I inched slowly towards the door of the dining hall and stood before it, listening.

"I don't know Luce. It could be a Poltergeist...or someone in this house is trying to scare us away." he followed me and stood next to me, examining the door's handle, trying to get it to open.

"Scare us away?" I squeaked. Don't get me wrong. I've seen lots of horrible things in my life as an agent and this isn't any different. At least...it shouldn't be. But something about this feels different, like sinister forces that shouldn't be here and those I can't understand are at work here. I suddenly felt shivers run up my spine, shivers that had nothing to do with the cold, though it was very cold right now.

"I said or, Lucy. It might not be anything at all. Maybe Lisa or Fiona just over reacted to a shadow they saw or something and the lights could've gone out because of a short circuit and the crash was probably George stumbling his way through the dark." Lockwood said nonchalantly, but his hand hesitated over the door's handle.

"Aaah, this is stupid. I'm going to open the door on the count of three, Luce." he said unsheathing his rapier.

"Ready?" he asked.

I took out my own rapier and held it in front of me. "Ready." I whispered through the deep, unsettling silence.

"Ok, one." I adjusted the grip on my rapier.

"Two." The silence around me was perhaps the loudest I had ever encountered.

"Three!" Lockwood gripped the handle and gave it a turn. It gave way with a loud squeak that ricocheted off the walls.

"Oh God." whispered Lockwood. Inside was Mrs. Ravensdale, Holly, George and Kipps all lying in different places of the room as if they were thrown apart by a tornado that had swept through it. They were all unconscious with faces of terror frozen in place. The dining table itself was in pieces and the paintings had been ripped off their wall. The carpet was stained with all the delicacies that had been laid out for us to eat. Sandwiches, jam tarts, scones, cream and pots of tea had been crushed under the giant table's weight.

"Oh yeah, Lockwood. This was definitely just a coincidence." I cleared the path to George and shook him awake. He grunted and shifted. I saw Lockwood doing the same to Holly.

"Hey, George? George!? Are you okay?" I asked in a desperate attempt to get him awake. But he only shifted again and mumbled something.

"George!?" I said loudly and slapped his face.

"Huh? What? What happened?" he said, finally waking. He sat up straight and looked around, searching for his glasses.

"Here." I handed them to him from the ground. "Are you okay? What happened?" I asked.

"Do I look okay, Lucy? And why the heck did you slap me? I bet if it was Lockwood, you would've kissed him awake, like in fairytales." he retorted, with everlasting sarcasm.

"What? No! Stop--ugh, whatever. That's not the point. What happened?" I asked again. If I had to ask one more time, I think I'm going to throw something.

"What do you mean 'what happened'? Oh." George looked around at the mansion's dining hall. "Woah. This is some mess here. Funny thing is, I can't seem to be able to remember." George said, like he was in a daze. "Last thing I do remember was something hitting me on the head with a thunk and a scream and then-- just darkness. Why is everyone else unconscious? And why are the lights out? And where's Lisa?" he asked, completely clueless. I suddenly realized that one person was missing. Lisa. She was nowhere to be found.

That's when Mrs. Ravensdale awoke. "Huh? Oh my!" she said taking in the scene. Her eyes widened with shock. "Lisa?! Oh no! This is no longer just a haunting! My butler was right. This is a fearsome curse. The Curse of the Queen's treasure!" she exclaimed, just as she fainted again.

-----

**Author's Note* *

Thank you Enoekie for all the votes! I'm glad you enjoy reading this :)

Thank you for reading! Plz vote, like, comment and give feedback!

What did you think about the curse? Do you think it's really a curse or just a rumour? What about what happened in the room? Plz comment below! I'd love to hear what you guys think.

See you in the next chapter!

--Blue