2

Lance edged around the library uncomfortably.  He had been set up with his tutor for today, and he wasn't really looking forward to it.  He popped a hard candy into his mouth, its shell clicking against his teeth.  His fingers pulled a random book from the shelf in front of him and he scanned the pages, procrastinating.  Then, with a sigh, Lance put it back and turned towards the tables. 
He dragged his chair out with an exaggerated groan, catching the attention of the boy across from him.  "Lance, right? I'm Keith." He stuck his hand out, not smiling.  Lance eyes him warily as he shook it, noting his mullet and deep purple eyes.  "Keith, huh? So, you're my tutor?"
"Mmhmm." Keith casually slid a bookmark between the pages of his book and set it down next to him. "So you're having trouble with calculus? Do you mind telling me, like, your level? Where you are, you know?" He pushed his bangs back, but they flopped back into his face. Lance sighed, shifting in his chair. "I, uh."
"That's fine. Your teacher updated me on your progress with a few tests." He pulled a binder from his bag and slid it over to Lance. "We'll be meeting from 3:45 to 5:00 on Wednesdays and Thursdays, okay? See you tomorrow." He stood up and slung his bag over his shoulder, locking eyes with Lance. "Okay then, teacher. See you, I guess?" Lance grinned and Keith nodded and left without another word.  "This'll be fun." Lance muttered to himself, watching his new tutor push the doors open and leave.

"Okay!" Keith started, swinging his bag onto the chair across from his new student, who was fidgeting already. He had a pencil in his hand and a finger twirling a lock of his short, wavy hair. "Where do we start?" Lance looked up with a smirk. Keith reached across the table and flipped his binder open for him, then tapped the page. "Do these problems- when you're done, tell me. If you have trouble, skip it and I'll go over it with you after." He opened his book, leaning back and sliding the bookmark out. 
"What are you reading?" Lances voice piped up 10 minutes later, and Keith jumped as he broke the silence.  Keith closed the book.  "City of Fallen Angels. Are you done?"
"Yep. Isn't that, like, about those demons and the people who fight them?"
"Yes, and vampires, and werewolves, and faeries.  Now focus."
"Okay, okay. Real twilight stuff."
"It's nothing like twilight!" Keith protested. "Read a page, you'll see." He slid it over to Lance, who opened it at random. 
"'You promise.' 'I swear on the angel. To hell with that, I swear on us.'" Lances voice took on a girlish, whimsy tone.  "'Why us?'  'Because there's nothing that I believe in more.' Wow, mullet, didn't take you for the love story type."
Keith's face reddened, flustered.  "It's not a love story!" He sputtered.  "It's about people who train to kill demons, and war!"
"Mhm." Lance looked skeptical. "Anyway, aren't you supposed to be tutoring me?"
"Right." Keith sighed.  "How much could you do?"

"Yep! And that's it for today, I will see you.." Keith thought for a moment. "...next week."
"Gonna miss me, mullet?" Lance winked, and Keith snorted. "Sure."
"See you next week." Lance left, easily picking up his heavy bag and slinging it over his shoulder.  Keith watched him go, chuckling quietly.  This year would be interesting.