5

Lance rubbed his jaw, groaning. He sat up groggily from his bed, tuning in and out of the noises of his siblings downstairs as his covers. He winced, almost unable to move after what had happened yesterday. His stomach burned just sitting up and one of his ribs flashed with pain as he stood, rubbing his head with sleep. His reflection squinted at him as he trudged across the hall in his blue shorts and only seemed to scowl harder when he caught sight of himself. The bruise on his face was worse than he expected- it covered most of his cheek now. It was a good thing that he had a routine- maybe it could cover how ugly he felt.  Shaking out of his disgusted gaze and splashing water on his face, Lance blinked and pursed his lips. Another day. Just put on a smile. He splashed warm water onto his face, scrubbing it with face wash and then cleaning off again.  The shower knob creaked as he turned it, then pushed off this shorts and stepped inside, flinching as the hot water ran over a cut he hadn't noticed just above his hip.  I'll tend to it later.  He let the water run through his hair

45 minutes later, he was dressed and stepping out the door.  "Lance, mijo!! You forgot breakfast!" His ma called after him, setting his little sister down on the chair and handing a lunch box to his brother.  She had her hands full.  "It's ok, mama.  I'm not.. hungry."
"But-"
"See you tonight!"  Lance closed the door before his mama could say anything more. He knew she knew he hadn't been eating much lately, all he did to keep himself from starving was drink water and eat those silly lifesavers.  He always told her he would eat at school, be he never did, for fear of being even sicker when he came across Nyma and Rolo. He still limped from the day before.
School itself was a nightmare. Classes and work. He only had one class with a friend today, tech with Pidge.  When the lunch bell rang, he slipped a hard candy from his pocket and popped it in his mouth, then went outside to avoid the crowd.  Leaning against the brick walls of the school, Lance could only imagine what it would be like to be normal.  He thought of going to lunch with his friends and not being picked on, having valid ideas, passing classes.  What was wrong with him? As if voicing his thoughts, someone spoke.  "What's wrong?"
Lance didn't even look up. "Nothing. Just needed some fresh air." He stood, supporting his weak leg by leaning on the wall.  "Lance. What's wrong?" A hand grabbed his, forcing him to turn around.  Lances eyes met purple ones, their owner none other than... "Keith. Oh."
"You aren't fooling me, Lance, I know somethings up. Something was up yesterday, and somethings up today. So tell me what's going on."  Concern flashed in his eyes. Lance laughed.  "Nothings wrong, Keith. Come on.  Like I said, I just wanted to get some fresh air before classes start up again." He took another step away, pulling his arm from Keith's grasp and resting his hurt leg behind him.  "You're still limping. Didn't get it checked?"
"I'm not! Limping, I mean. I can walk fine. See?" To prove his point, Lance walked in a circle with a smile on his face, putting equal pressure on both legs. It burned up his ankle and his calf, but he couldn't let the pain show. Even still, Keith was still wary. He flicked his boot out and knocked Lances ankle unexpectedly, causing Lance to fall to one knee and grab his bad leg with an "Ah! What the hell, Keith?"
"I didn't kick you that hard. Let me see." Lance shuffled away as Keith reached forward. His touch was icy cold, but it seemed to warm at the Cuban boy's skin. The ankle was purple and swollen, and Lance sucked his breath in when it bent. Keith inhaled sharply. "I can't believe you. Idiot. You walked on this?! You're so stupid, you need to take care of yourself! He helped Lance up and let him sling an arm around him for support. I can't do this. What if they see us? They'll hurt him. They'll hurt Keith and it'll be my fault. Lances mind raced. He quickly retracted his arm and smiled sheepishly. "Thanks Keith, but I'm fine, really. It'll heal."
"Not if you keep walking on it." Keith frowned. "Then I'll limp. But I don't need your help." Lance realized how harsh that sounded, and by the way Keith had taken a step back, Keith did too. "Sorry. Sorry. I just meant.. I'll be fine." Lance skunk away before he could see the hurt in Keith's eyes again.

Lifesavers~ Klanceजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें