10

Quick Authors Note:  I haven't updated this story in a year! I'M SO SORRYYY!!!!! I swear I'll try to be more consistent with the updates from here on out, especially because I love writing this story so much. I''m going to change some stuff up to make this more interesting. Thanks to everyone who's even read up to here!! 
On with the story now.

"Keith! And Lance. What can I get you?" Allura leaned against the counter, smiling at her friends. Even though it had been a week, it was strange for her to see Keith with someone else, especially someone she didn't know first. "I'll just have a black coffee. Lance?" Allura's eyes landed on Keith's hand, resting comfortably on the back of Lance's wheelchair. It knocked Lance's shoulder lightly as Keith asked him what he wanted. "I'll just have an iced tea." Lance smiled. For some reason, he looked more at ease today than the other times she'd seen them. His eyes were still, oceans of blue that stretched into her, and his hair looked as though it'd been styled by the breeze. Allura looked away. "Sure thing, guys. That's $5.59." Her hands automatically punched the numbers into the cash register, but her mind was elsewhere. She saw Lance look up at Keith, crack a joke, and chuckle to himself while Keith shoved him a little, a smile on his face when he looked away. "Allura? You good?" Keith prodded her from across the bar, shaking her back to reality. "Sorry, yeah, I'm good." She flashed a grin and walked towards the back to prepare their drinks.
Through the glass of the cafe window, Keith dragged a chair up to a small table in the sun, parking Lance before sitting down next to him. He placed a stack of books in front of them before sitting down with a straight face. "Now, just because you're practically in a body cast doesn't mean we're not still doing lessons."  As soon as Lance let out a long groan in response, it was obvious that Keith was hiding a laugh. "For god's sake Lance, you literally groan every time we do this and you always end up enjoying yourself." Keith chided playfully. Lance turned his head, frowning. "Whatever, Mullet. It's still math."
From where Allura was standing, the boys gestured and laughed silently. She turned away from the window to grab their drinks and walk outside, setting them on the table. "Hey! How's the studying going?" Lance threw his head back dramatically. "I can't studyyyy, I'm all brokennnn!"
"Lance, come on." Keith flicked a drop of coffee at him. Lance's face scrunched up, and he licked the drop off his cheek before flinching. "Gross. How do you drink this stuff?"
"It's a bit of an acquired taste, I'll admit. But it's good!" He watched in amusement as the boy across him downed his ice tea in an effort to clean his tongue. Allura laughed dryly. "I'll leave you two to it then." Lance grinned. "Later, beautiful." He winked before she left with a chuckle.  Keith turned back to Lance. "Why do I even bother?" 

Pidge poked Lance, making him look up from his lap. "Looks like tutoring is paying off, dude." Her voice was quiet as she gestured to his test grades in front of him. 97/100%.  He glanced at them, and then up at the teacher, who gave him an approving smile. Then the bell rang, and Pidge stood quickly, her chair screeching out behind her. Lance pulled his bag from the floor onto his lap, stuffing his papers inside before wheeling himself out of the classroom with her. "Dude, so why did Keith need those pictures, anyway?" Lance looked up. "What?" She rolled her eyes. "I asked you like last week, you said you would tell me later. It doesn't have anything to do with the car accident, does it?" She gestured to his wheelchair and he shrugged. "Nah. It was probably just to like, get to know me better or something. She grinned. "Who would want to get to know you?" 
"Hey!"
"Hi." A new voice joined them from behind, and Pidge whipped around. "Hey! Keith! We were just talking about you."
"Good things, I hope," Keith smiled and started walking next to them, his hand unconsciously finding its way to the back of Lance's wheelchair.  "Nah, I was just telling Pidge how utterly outdated your mullet is." 
"My hair again?"Keith laughed. "Seems like you're running out of insults, McLame." Lance froze. Pidge laughed next to him. "What, Lance, no comeback?" She joked, but there was no response. "Lance? Are you okay?" Keith prodded his shoulder, and Lance looked up again. "What? Yeah. It's fine." Keith withdrew his hand. It's fine? What was 'it'?  He fiddled with his gloves cautiously, until they reached the front door. "Anyway, Lance and I have a session today, Pidge, so we'll see you later, yeah?" She grinned and nodded, giving Lance a little salute before parting ways with them. "Have fun!" She sang. Once she was out of sight, Keith kneeled in front of the chair. "Lance? Dude, are you okay? I didn't, like, offend you or anything, did I?" The brown-haired boy's eyes were damp, and he didn't respond. His arms were stiff, grasping the wheels of his chair until his knuckles were white. 

"Look who's here. And he brought a friend!" 

The voice brought Lance back to life somehow, and he breathed in deeply. He blinked the water away from his eyes and gripped the chair even harder as if it were his lifeline. The other boy whipped around, coming face to face with someone he never wanted to see again. "What are you, his bodyguard?" Rolo sauntered forward, grinning. He circled the two, examining the cripple. "What a wimp. Had to ruin our fun with this stupid thing." His boot hit the brake on the chair, and Lance lurched forward. Gloved hands gripped the handles quickly. "Do not." Keith breathed. "Got yourself a boyfriend, McLame? You helpless wuss." The sudden realization hit Keith like a  hammer to the chest. "I'll be back soon. Don't miss me too much!" Rolo's steps faded, and Keith dropped to his knees. "I am so sorry. I'm so sorry. Lance, I'm so, so sorry, I didn't know. Let's just go home today." Lance shook himself awake, muttering something under his breath. Keith took the chair's handles, but Lance shook him off, grabbing the wheels again and starting to push. "What did you say?"
"I'm not helpless."