6

Keith groaned. What was up with this guy? He watched as Lance straightened up and grimaced, walking away. He was gonna kill himself that way, Keith knew. He wasn't going to let him hurt himself anymore.

Lance turned the corner of the school and slid down, clutching his hurt leg and hissing.
"Who was that, then?" A familiar voice made him glance up, then groan even louder. "Listen, guys. Can you maybe lay off for a day? Unless you want it to show all over me and get you in trouble too." Nyma pouted. "No fun." Rolo leaned on her and smiled. "That's ok, Ny. We'll have our fun, don't worry. But let's help Lance for now." Seriously? Lance squinted. "No. Stay away from me-" He tried to get up but slipped back down. "Need a hand?"
"No! Just- just go away." He couldn't get up. Rolo leaned down, offering a hand as Lance looked up. Was he... serious? His face looked serious enough. Hesitantly, he took it, and Rolo pulled him up, and propped him against the wall. "Ok, Nyma. Now you can go ahead." Oh no. Lance looked for an escape- they were blocking it. He knew it. He knew it was a trap.
"Ooh!" She slipped her headband off her head and wrapped it around his face, blocking his mouth. Lance jerked his head every which way, but it was no use. Before he could reach up and take it off, Nyma smashed her heel into his already injured leg. Then she did it again. Lance could feel the pain shoot up and a crack. He screamed, but it was muffled by the cloth. A couple more hits to the gut with Rolo's fist and some more cracks, and they were gone, laughing. He heard footsteps, very faintly, then saw a blurry figure as his legs collapsed from under him. "Lance? Lance!"
Keith scooped up the brown-haired boy and ran up the hall, looking for help. "Lets get you to an ambulance." He muttered. "N-no," Lance said weakly. "Can't go. Family w- worried." He breathed heavily, then clutched his stomach. "What happened?!" Keith shook him a little. "Nothing. Tripped?" Lance offered. "Tripped, my ass. Tell me." Lance shook his head. "Why?"
"You'll get hurt.." Lance tried to sit but screamed in pain. Keith shook the confusion from his eyes and frowned, running to the office. "That's it. We're getting you help, I don't care what you say." He put Lance down on the chair and pounded his hand on the desk. The secretary looked up, a mildly annoyed expression on her face. "Call an ambulance, for god's sake!" She glanced behind him and nodded with a start at the sight of a broken boy sprawled across the chairs. Minutes later, sirens were heard outside. Keith ran back and picked him up again. "C'mon, c'mon." He whispered, pushing the front door open and almost bumping right into an officer. "Put him on the stretcher." He was ordered, so he did, then climbed into the back with Lance, grabbing his hand. "Hey. You're good, right? You're okay." Lance shook his head. "You're an idiot, Kogane." Then he slumped back, one arm still draped over his stomach, his hand a fist from clenching in pain. Keith grumbled for the rest of the short ride to the hospital but didn't let go of Lance's hand. "When you get better McClain, I swear to god I'm getting an explanation out of you."

They had arrived. Lance was wheeled out and into the hospital. Keith was forced to sit in a waiting room, but he waited nonetheless. It was 2:03 pm. He shifted positions maybe four times in the first half-hour, impatiently moving around. He drank two cups of coffee, checked the time 6 times, unlocked his phone and relocked it again, and eventually took to pacing around the waiting room. After what seemed like forever, a nurse came in. "Sir? Your friend's awake. Would you like to see him-"
"Yes."
"Right this way, then. He's in room 728." Keith walked on her heels as she led him to Lance's room, but paused when he made it to the door. Maybe Lance didn't want to see him. He didn't want to seem too eager. He let her go in first. "Mr. McClain? You have a visitor." She left, and Keith took a breath. Though he had planned to be casual, his feet jumped and he ran in, taking a seat next to the bed. "Lance? You okay?"
"K- Keith!" Lance chuckled happily. "I'm glad you're here." Keith sighed in relief. He was okay. "Hey, what happened? Can you tell me what the doctor said?"
"Some of my ribs are broken. My leg is shattered. Hasn't it been a great day?" He rolled his eyes, then winced. "But I told you not to bring me in! How am I supposed to get to school now? My family's gonna ask questions if I go in a wheelchair-"
"Your only option," Keith interrupted, "And the best way to get you better. You're not getting hurt like this again. Not on my watch."
Lance sighed. There was no getting out of this.
"So tell me what happened."

"Okay."