Chapter 6

It had been a month since their long conversation about Nicolas. Antonio was trying more than ever to make it up to Ana, but Ana insisted that he need bother. To Ana, it was history and whilst she could never forget her son, or her past, she knew that to continue surviving this world, she needed to better herself, and be the woman she had always been. But that was not going to happen if Antonio continued to hover.

Erin had been strict in Antonio's presence, encouraging him to give Ana a break. She also reminded him that Ana still felt hurt by his decisions, the cheating, the pregnancy and the abandonment. Whilst Ana tried to insist she wasn't, her guards were well and truly up.

Since coming down fast and hard Ana had faced some reality checks of her own. She was shocked that she became a functioning addict, she could fool anyone with her composure. Those traits worries her family, Voight especially. He had been undergoing random searches of his home, fearing that Ana would have hidden some substance from him. Ana hated it and felt betrayed by her fathers lack of trust but knew, deep down, that he was scared of her falling into another dark pit. More than ever, her dad was watching over his daughter, encouraging her to take a break from her career and to regroup her thoughts. This is what led them into the argument today:

"But dad? I need to get out of the house." Ana stressed, her left hand on her left hip. Ana had come to approach her dad with a proposition whilst he was in work.

"Go for a run!" Voight countered, his gruff voice rising with every word.

He took in the sight of his daughter, granted, she looked a lot better than she had 4 weeks ago. She now got dressed rather than lounging around in her sweatpants. Wearing her denim jeans and striped top with her grey suede sneakers. Her hair had been trimmed, it was shorter than before but the colour was still bright. Her face looked more healthy, a slight cover of make up to cover the dark circles from the sleepless nights she was hiding from everyone.

Her tone was trying as she moved closer to her fathers desk. She didn't doubt that the team of detectives behind the door in the bullpen were trying to decipher every word. Let's face it, they knew that when Ana Voight jumped up the stairs, coffee for everyone, she was up to something. When Voight had invited her in his office and closing the door behind them, it didn't take long for the room to be engulfed in shouting matches.

Her attention fixed on her father, she said. "Dad, I don't need to go for a run. I need to get back to work. I just want a chance, that's all I want."

Voight ran his hand over his face, pulling at his chin before shoving it back into his pocket. He shook his head slowly. "I can't risk you spiralling. The cases we go on Ana, they're not good for-"

Ana stopped him. "What you mean addicts? Or daughters? Because I can't see you wrapping Erin in bubble wrap."

That comment was heard throughout the floor.

It was Adam that spoke up, "she really puts up a good fight."

Erin hissed at him, standing up she joined the father and daughter in the office. Closing the door behind them, she turned to Hank exasperated.

"Look Hank, Ana's right." She started, when Voight tried to argue, she put a hand out to stop him. "You can't wrap her in bubble wrap, you don't treat me like that."

"You're my girls." Hank said softly. Looking between the pair of them. "I just can't risk losing you again Ana." He turned toward his daughter. He trusted Erin's ability to stay in line, she had been clean for years. But, considering whether he would have given her the benefit of the doubt all those years ago, Hank conceded. "You start spinning. You're out!" He warned a finger pointed directly at Ana, before moving it to Erin. "I want you watching out for her on the ground."