Greetings and "First Meetings"

Stars
Can't
Shine
Without
Darkness
-Unknown
~~~~

Emily Carter

-January 26, 2017-  ~Gavin High School, Lake County, Illinois~

It would be tomorrow by the time that Lucas and his search party for say would be flying into Chicago.

To say I was nervous would be an understatement. I felt like I was dying on the inside, the butterflies in my stomach, eating my stomach, tearing me apart from the inside out.

After I had reached out to Lucas the first time (on my phone,) I became addicted to Lucas's voice, I felt lost if I didn't text him or at least talk to him, Veronica, or Lily on the phone.

That was four days ago, it is Monday now, and I have just ended my work shift, trudging home, regretting my decision of not using my car, thinking, oh, hey this might benefit our Earth, but I guess the world was against me as it began to rain.

I ran the rest of my way home, cursing at Mother Nature softly to myself, as my McDonald's work uniform stuck to me, I was soaked to the bone.

I push my apartment door closed with my foot, walking in and falling down on the couch in my living room with an "oomph."

My apartment, wasn't anything big, just a small living room and kitchen along with two bedrooms and a bathroom. It was what I could afford.

My phone rings, as I tiredly pick it up and put it to my ear, pushing down a yawn.

'Hey Emily,' Lucas greets cheerfully, but it seemed forced.

'H-hey Lucas,' I say, stifling a yawn. My hair needed to be dyed again I should've done it two weeks ago before I even started talking to Lucas, but to prove to Lucas that I was actually Emily, I refrained from doing so, allowing it to turn back to its natural brunette color.

My hair grew fast and was down to my butt, I cut it yesterday, up to the small of my back, chopping off my blonde, purple, and blue hair.

I wore my glasses more now, hiding in the shadows when I went to school. I didn't get bullied here, the kids appearing more laid back, and didn't think highly of stereotypes.

One thing I was glad of. '-ily? Are you still there, Emily?' I was jumbled out of my thoughts as Lucas spoke softly, soothing me with his voice.

'What, yeah, I'm sorry,' I murmur.

'I just wanted to tell you sorry that we weren't coming in yesterday like we originally had planned,' I listened thoroughly to his words, letting them seep into my soul, I was scared, that's why I ran, funny isn't it? I was afraid of losing Lucas, and so I ran away, keeping a distance from him so he wouldn't die.

If I stayed away from him, he wouldn't get hurt. 'It's okay,' I mumble quietly subtlety trying to avoid too much conversation tonight.

'Emma,' he soothes me, 'I originally had the plan, to tell you everything, and show up at school, scaring you, that was not part of my plan at all, I am so sorry.'

I close my eyes, letting this all sink in, what do you say to that though? How do you say, 'you died, but came back, and it was okay because it was out of the goodness out your heart?' It's not that easy.

'Continue,' I force out letting go of a strangled breath, I was trying not to panic as images flashed through my mind of Lucas's "death."

'I just wanted to tell you that I am sorry and to watch your back, the Elders, of all of our family lines, are not happy, you're going to have to go to trial, or die.'

Wow, way to put that out there. Very bluntly might I add? Not the best conversation starter. Also not something most people want to hear on the phone.

'Umm okay?' I whine softly, 'so if I go to trial, and I am not worthy, I die? But if I don't go to trial, I die either way? Correct me if I'm wrong, but-'

Lucas stops me there, 'Emma, that's what we know of now, I might be wrong, but it doesn't look good.'

'Okay,' I say, 'I love you Lucas, but I am going to need time to process this, bye.'

'Bye Emma, love you too.'

I sigh glancing around my living room groaning in frustration. I put my hands in my hair, fisting it, as I pulled on it. I was to put it out there, living on a suicide mission. What was I going to do? Every time I do something, I just seem to be digging myself a deeper and deeper hole, and now I find that I can't just climb out like I had originally planned.

The Elders, are ancient heroes, said to have been blessed with immortality by the Gods'. The Elders, now stick to watching the hero world, acting similar to a court, or the Judicial branch of America's government. When someone, particularly a hero, steps out of line, it is their jobs to get them in line or to have them go to court, deciding if they are worthy to keep being a hero, and if they aren't a punishment, like the stripping of powers, or worse, banishment, or death.

What would they want with me? I know Latin, and Greek, the language that all heroes know, being that is the language of The Elders, but I am a criminal, a thief, how am I under their ruling?

I'm too young to die.