Bright Lights, and Wait Blood?

My best dreams and worst nightmares have the same people in them.

-Philippos

~~~~

Emily Carter

-January 27, 2017- Same day  ~Us - 12 E, off of the exit ramp,  Elkhorn, WI~

Lucas swerved out of the way as I scream. A truck going the wrong way was speeding down the interstate.

I hear a crash behind me, I look back. Jason's car was smashed on the drives side, the mirror was taken off.

Anne's car got rear-ended, and she pulled off to the side of the road. Sadly, when we had swerved, we hit another car in the next lane.

I felt a moment of vertigo, my vision flashed red. I felt weightless, suspended almost. It stops, I look out the smashed windshield as best as I can, touching my head feeling blood.

We were in the ditch, I look at Lucas. His eyes were closed, I felt a pulse, he looked fine aside from a few cuts and bruises.

I try to lean over, even more, pain erupts in my left leg. I scream, "help somebody." I look around blood, glass shards, where is my phone?

I reach around the back seat, finding my bag, but no phone. I reach some more, trying to refrain from moving my trapped left leg.

Bingo! My phone I grab it with shaking hands, dialing 9 - 1 - 1 it rings, "come on, come on," I mutter.

Lucas shifts slightly, groaning and grabbing his head. "What happened?" he asked blinking.

"We were in an accident," I reply.

"Oh, ok- wait what?" Lucas shouts I shush him. I put my phone on speaker, listening in.

'911 what is your emergency?' the operator asks, my breathing heavy, I reply.

'I've, I've been in a car crash with, with a wrong way driver, it, it was on US - 12 E just off, just off of the ramp." 

'OKay, is there anyone injured in the vehicle?'

'Umm, my left leg is trapped, but other than that, just minor cuts and bruises.'

'Help is on the way.' 

 The call cut out, a sob escaped my throat. Lucas removed his seatbelt and moved closer, cutting the engine of my car.

"Stay right at night, stay right at night," I murmur to myself, what had I done wrong? Lucas takes my hand in his, rubbing circles in my palm. The headlights on my car dim, I turn it back on, for the police to see. 

We had crossed the border into Wisconsin. Elkhorn, I think. I shook softly, pulling on my sweater subconsciously. Lucas puts his head in the crook of my neck, taking in a deep breath. I try to move closer again, despite my leg, the stupidity of me was priceless. 

I yelp, giving Lucas a pained look, "It's my seat," I tell him, I pause hearing sirens in the distance. I press my hand on the horn, honking it. I repeat the action three short, three long, three short. S O S in Morse code. I do it again.  The sirens become louder. The bright red and blue lights, illuminating the scenery around me. 

I whimper in pain, Lucas strokes my hair, I slightly lean into his touch. Two paramedics come near the car, going over to Lucas's side. One opens the door, I glance at the tall man who appeared to be in his mid-fifties, a slim guy, with salt and pepper hair, his gray eyes shining brightly.

"Is everything all right?" he asks, "My name is Zack, I will be helping you guys out, and sir can you exit the vehicle?" Lucas nods, leaving, Zack leaves the door open, I stare at him, I couldn't move.

"I can't get out," I tell him, my leg it's stuck." Lucas is sat down in an ambulance, the guy comes back, prying my door open, along with two firemen. They all fumble around with my seat, I wince in pain, trying to keep my whines and whimpers down.

"I'm sorry, but we need to get you out," Zack explains, gripping my hand, a female paramedic emerges, with a stretcher, she puts a neck brace on my neck. I am pulled free, I receive an oxygen mask. 

I know I am shocked well, in shock, that the pain was at a bare minimum, all though, I wouldn't say so myself.  I try to look for the others, eight other ambulances, I just want Lucas. 

The female paramedic puts an IV in my arm, injecting me with a painkiller. The words that Zack says to me as the sirens go off are hazy. The doors to the ambulance are closed, the world is spinning. 

My breathing is heavy and coming out in pants even with my oxygen mask. I am having an anxiety attack, I think. Lights flash, red appears in and out of my vision, blood maybe? I see black, and pass out, falling limp. 

I groan as I wake up to an annoying beeping noise. My alarm would have been my first guess if the past events had never occurred. I look down at my stiff left leg that was in a cast. A  stressed looking doctor walked into the room, holding my chart. "Oh good, you're awake, I am doctor Adams, I performed your surgery today." I nod and shake his hand. "You suffered a deep cut in your left calf that needed stitches. You have three broken ribs, and you also had a few minor cuts that required some stitching, other than that, just a few bruises and you will be fine." I smile and thank the man as he leaves, handing my chart to a nurse. 

"How are my friends doing?" I ask as a nurse walks in, checking my fluids and my IV. She looks at me with a kind smile.

"Who are your friends?" She asks, walking over to the whiteboard on the wall, writing down some things about my fluids and BP. 

"Jason Smith, Veronica Carter, Lucas Greene, Lily Spencer, Adam Baker, Bianca Wilkins, and Anne Evans," I reply as she does a mental take.

 "Veronica has a minor concussion. Anne and Lily and in the waiting room with Bianca. Jason and Adam have minor cuts and bruises and are now in the waiting room, Lucas has a mild concussion and bruised ribs." I nod listening to her and what she has to say. "Would you like me to get your friends?" I nod. 

She appears later with Bianca, Anne, Lily, Adam, and Jason. The nurse excuses herself and leaves us alone. "How are you doing?" Lily asks walking over to me. I look around the room, not able to bring myself to look at any one of them. 

"Fine, I mumble softly, looking down. "How is Lucas?"

"He's okay," Jason tells me, I nod, "he is unconscious, but doing fine." 

Lucas wakes up and we get discharged from the hospital, with I am glad for (too much death). Now let the journey begin.