Sealed With a Kiss

In the end, we will not remember the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends

-Martin Luther King Jr.

~~~~

Veronica Carter  

-February 1, 2017- ~The Elders' hall, Location: unknown ~

The silent tension in the air was deafening. Lily and Emily were surrounded by us. Us meaning Lucas, Jason, Bianca, Anne, Adam, and I. We heroes stood in a circle surrounding the two ex-thieves. 

The Elders all glared at us, as we held their gazes, glaring back twice as hard as they were. It seemed tense, I had a bad feeling about what was to happen. I backed off of our protective circle, going to stand next to Emily as I tightly gripped her hand in mine. 

I was quietly whispering some encouraging and loving words, although the words meant to make Emily feel better about herself were mostly said so I had less doubt about our current situation.

"Today, on February the first is Emily Carter's and Lily Spencer's trial to determine them worthy of the chance to become heroes. They can leave now and die, or they have the choice of continuing this trial....and die," Aindreo booms, all of us heroes hold our weapons at the ready. 

Lucas growls threateningly, blocking Lily and Emily from The Elders view, linking arms with Jason and Adam.  I was holding the younger two girls close, one of them on each side. I was not about to lose my new friend and my little sister after I had just gotten her back. 

The ground shakes, it wasn't my doing. I assist Emily with her earthquake. Pieces of the ceiling fall around us.  The Elders stand obviously not happy with us. Their eyes are glowing purple. We don't stand down.

"Guys," Adam yells over the deafening roar of a siren, "I am sorry, this is all my fault."

All hell breaks loose. 

We were all fighting The Elders and each other, it was practically every man and every woman for him and herself. A yell of pain is what stops us. Bianca had speared Adam through the gut. Not a single one of us showed mercy, call us cruel, but this wasn't the first time Adam has tried to kill one of us. 

The first time was Anne, the second time Jason. We were done with him. 

The only sound was our labored breathing. Every one of us takes a look around at the mass destruction we had caused. This chaos was our fault. We killed one of our own and we liked it. 

Lucas was set off and charged at Aindreo as they became locked in battle. Jason and Emily were against Alena and Alejandra back to back in a twister of destruction, wreaking havoc all around. I was against Alecta. 

All I remember is three words, slash, hack, and duck. Those three words repeated in my mind as waved of monsters were sent our way by The Elders. My world was spinning. I had a dagger and I managed to strick Alecta in the heart. Only we heroes could rid of their immortality. My opponent was done for. 

I staggered on, searching for my sister. I stepped over mangled bodies and corpses that littered the floor, gagging at the horrid smell. 

"Emily, no," I hear screaming out, it was Lucas. I run over, passing Lily's dead body that lay next to Anne's, together they had been speared through the heart. They both died heroes. I choke down a sob as I skid to a stop behind Lucas who held Emily with a sword in her side. Multiple scratches and bruises littered her body and her skin was pale. 

I knew my sister wasn't going to make it long.  "Em," I stutter at a loss for any words, covering my mouth as tears streamed down my face.

"Shh, Emily you're okay, it's okay, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," Lucas murmured, rocking her, crying as she whimpered in pain yelping. I knelt down next to the couple, gripping Emily's hand.

"I love you Em, so much, remember that," I say, kissing her forehead.

Emily coughs, "I love you, too." I go back and back away, letting Lucas have his moment with Emily. 

"I love you, Emma, I love you so much, I am sorry, I was stupid, I'm sorry," Lucas blabbers sobbing loudly.

"I love you, too, Lucas, so much," Emily kisses Lucas, "but, remember to move on." The light begins to fade from my baby sisters eyes, I can fully see the pain she is in. Lucas kisses her one last time.  Lucas kisses her, and the two take a breath. Emily's last. She closes her eyes, for them to never see the light again.

It's a kiss full of pain, misery, love, hope, and most of all fear. It was a desperate kiss between the two. But, most of all, it was their last. A story of Romeo and Juliet.  Forbidden love, except Juliet, dies and leaves Romeo alone.  

They always say heroes have tragic tales, but I think that our stories were cruel. And, just like a fairy tale, Emily, my sister's story. 

It was sealed with a kiss.