Chapter 15

In my mind's eye, I can still remember how I'd get nightmares at night and end up thrashing on my bed to rid myself of the imaginary bonds that hold me down as dark faceless people beat me raw in my dreams or memories if you will.

Tonight is one of my rougher nights.

Sitting up in the bed as I jerk myself awake from the vivid recount of what happened to cause my scars, breathing heavily, I turn on the bedside lamp to help me 'forget' the dream.

"Janette?" Mr Hol-nope, nope. Alexander speaks up suddenly walking into the room startling me. "Are you alright?"

Forcing a smile on my lips, I reply softly as he sits by me on the edge of the bed, avoiding eye contact with him, "I'm fine."

In the dim light, I turn my head up just in time to see his eyebrow arch upwards questioningly, his eyes doing a once over on my possibly tear-streaked face as I desperately try to hide the fact that I'm most definitely not 'okay'. Knowing what I do of this man, he's probably already seen through my facade but there is always that dim chance that he hasn't. It's that dim chance I'm counting on here.

"So...where were you?" I ask looking up, changing the point of attention to him. "Did you even sleep at all?"

For a moment, I think he's going to ignore my question to press me on why I'm awake but I feel very relieved when he answers, "I couldn't so I went out to the living room to get some work done."

In the back of my mind, I wonder if it had anything to do with the brief, for-no-reason-at-all kiss we shared just before we both turned away from the other to sleep but the thought is immediately shut down and thrown into the dustbin by me. If something like that affected him as much as it did me, we're both violating the rules we set out for each other.

No attachments.

Well, I think I'm already violating it by thinking he's still hung up over it.

"It's four in the morning," He mentions casually, patting my thigh under the thick blanket. "We should get some sleep."

Nodding in agreement, he gets off of my side of the bed to go to his side. Once he's under the covers, I lean to the side to off the bedside lamp, plunging the room into darkness. The silence between us is heavy, the only sound that shouldn't even be considered noise is our breathing.

"I want you to move your things into my room when we get back to the apartment," Mr Holt says suddenly, making me turn to face him...or rather his shoulder since he's leaning on the headboard.

"Why?" I murmur, looking up at what I'm assuming is his face.

"I thought over what you said the first time we met and what you said yesterday," he replies, the silhouette of his head moving to face me. "I'm willing to try if you'd be there to teach me how to do it. Be a father. I mean."

The bed shakes and bounces a little as I sit up in joy, sitting back on my heels to face him fully, "That's great! Oh my god...I'm so happy right now...I can't believe you're even willing to try."

Opening his mouth to reply to me, he stops short when there's a sudden flurry of knocking at the door to our 'room'. Turning behind me to switch on the bedside lamp so that I can find my glasses and walk out to answer the door, Alexander startles me by grabbing my outstretched arm before I can do anything.

"I'll get it," He whispers as the knocking persists, scrambling out of bed, his shadow moving quickly in the darkness. "Don't come out no matter what. I mean it seriously, Janette. Do. Not. Come. Out."

And that is not suspicious at all, my subconscious rolls her eyes.

Opening the bedroom door, I am blinded for a second by the lights outside before I am once again plunged into darkness. Switching on the lamp, I quickly wear my glasses to see what's going on outside better when suddenly the door bursts open and Alexander comes in carrying a wailing Danny by his pants!

Dashing out of bed, I quickly take the crying baby into my arms, gently rubbing his back, and humming a nameless tune to try to get him to calm down. Looking up at Alexander for an explanation, the man shrugs gesturing to a haggard-looking Mr Ford behind him.

With Danny quietened down and drooling on my shoulder, I sit on the couch with Alexander as we listen to Mr Ford explain why he came here so early in the morning.

Danny hasn't stopped crying since Alexander took him from me in the living room and Mr Ford and the housekeeper, Mrs Denise have been trying to get him to sleep but he wouldn't even as much as close his eyes and he threw up twice while crying which Mrs Denise had decided that it was best to bring him to us.

"I am so sorry, Mr Ford," I murmur, rubbing Danny's jerking back as he glued himself to my neck, making little whimpers now and then. "I think he's got a little separation anxiety but I'll take care of him from here on out. You go back to the apartment and get some rest."

With a gracious 'thank you' after Alexander's nod of agreement, Mr Ford leaves the room in a hurry to get some much-needed sleep. Carrying Danny into the bedroom, I lay him down next to me away from the edge of the bed, patting his chest lightly as he lets out a small tired yawn.

"Alright, you've got me now," I whisper to him, watching as his eyes slowly close. "I promise I won't leave you like that again. So, sleep."

Humming a self-made tune, I feel my eyelids begin to droop once Danny's eyes are closed. Laying next to him, I allow myself to doze a little before the sun rises. Just as I begin to slip out of consciousness, I feel the thick hotel blanket being draped over my body and a gentle, deep voice whisper-asking.

"What are you doing to me, Ms Summers?"