Chapter 33

Reaching for the glass of water in front of me, I gulp down a mouthful to quell the choking, While I do this, I try to come up with an excuse as to why I am in Taiwan. I can't say I'm here on business since I work in English publishing.

Looks like I'm caught.

Neither can I say I'm here on holiday because who in their right mind would be in the mood to go on a holiday after almost being kidnapped to make that story even more unbelievable, I hate flying and the three of them know it. The eyes on the table eyed me carefully as I wrack my brains to come up with an answer but Mr Lee beats me to it.

"I don't care what reason she has," He huffs, waving his hand at his son. "I want know how I can help her."

"爸, 从一年前开始你不再是辛迪加的领导者了, 我才是. (Dad since a year ago you are no longer the syndicate's leader, I am)," Eugene reminds him, brushing off his father's words. "I just asked a simple question, it doesn't matter whether or not you want to know the answer."

Oh crab, he's going to get it from Mr Lee now.

Before I can say anything to stop the brewing argument between the father and son, Mr Lee whacks the back of Eugene's head with his hand, his wise brown eyes livid as he glares at his eldest child.

"你这个没道理,没用 的臭小子! (You unmannered, useless, rotten child!)" Mr Lee shouts infuriated, banging his fist down on the table so hard that the glasses quake in fear from the strength. "你是不是忘记我是你的父亲吗? 我对小蝴蝶法师过不论是什么我或是我的儿孙会帮她. 作为男人我们不能违背承诺. (Have you forgotten that I am your father? I swore to Little Butterfly that no matter what I or my descendants will help her. As men, we cannot break our word.)"

Angela is silent as she watches her older brother succumb to her father's dominance. Her cool brown eyes shift slowly to meet my gaze as I continue to observe her. While the men of the household battle it out using their words, the women sit idly by warring with their eyes and subtle body language.

The true Asian way of battling things out, I learnt a while back.

We cannot throw Alexander to the wolves. These people have men all over the damn world, my subconscious hisses as she mirrors Anglea's cold, examining gaze. All we have to do is mention his name and the peace we've been laying low for will be broken.

Or, it will be enhanced beyond what peace we have already achieved all these years, I argue back. It will ensure protection for Alexander and Danny. Mr Lee is on our side, and Eugene is also on our side, it's just that he's suspicious of us because our story doesn't add up.

My subconscious turns to look at me incredulously.

That was an oversight on my part. I didn't think my cover thoroughly enough.

"I am here with my fiance," I relent a beat after Angela raises her brow in question as if she heard my thoughts. "He's Alexader Holt. He's got business here and a function tomorrow evening. We're here for four days. He knows nothing about my past involvements in Hierarchy. I prefer to believe he knows nothing about it."

"Alexander Holt?" Eugene asks unsurely, sharing looks with Angela who's eyebrows are so high they are reaching her hairline and his father who looks if not as shocked as Angela then more so. "The Alexander Holt?"

"Why? Do you guys know him or something?" I ask, observing between the three Lees. "Why are all of you looking at me like that?"

Clearing his throat, Mr Lee gives both his children stern looks before picking up his chopsticks, dipping the dumpling into a vinegar and ginger concoction before placing the dim sum into his mouth.